WA Moose Hunting

Blacktail boy

Sorry I havent been here lately , Been busy hitting the salmon season here and preparing for hunting season and oh yeah work.
I was lucky enough to draw a moose tag for washington this year, Does anybody know a place for me to start looking , I have a call into the biologist and bought some maps and heading over to scout the first week of August. It is the Hangman Unit that encompases most of spokane county. It includes Mica peak and Hangman creek . Judging from just the maps it looks like the hangman creek area would be good ,but if anyone is familiar with the area or has any other tips for getting good advice I would greatly appreciate it. How big a bull should I expect to set my sights for . Thanks

Blacktail,

Way to go you lucky dog!!!! Sorry, I'm not
familair with that area, but I have talked
to a couple of guys who have hunted moose
in Wa. Believe me, you'll do fine. A 40"
moose is a good bull in this state, athough
theres bigger to be had. A guy shot a 54"
bull in the Sellkirks that made b/c. Other
then the bio in the area, call hunting and
fishing news and see if they can hook you
up with any of the locals. I would try hunting the rut in early Oct.The moose will
be very active, and where you see cows, there
will most likely be a bull around. Good luck
and have alot of fun.:cool:

BB,

I think you'll be somewhere in the rut period. I took my Grandpa hunting moose in
SE Idaho 2 years ago. It was the second week
in Oct. He shot a cow the first day, and the
big bull was still in the rut to the point
of not leaving the kill site. Believe me, your gonna see plenty of mooose. Hope you
get a nice one!

Congratulations Blacktail you got a good tag there.Lets see when I was looking at the success rates for Moose in this state it was really high so you should do really good.As far as I have heard you need to get in touch with a Bio like Spotted said and they will point you in the right direction.You best be doing some scouting because you are done drawing a Moose tag for this state now.I wish you good luck on your venture for a moose if I find any info I will let you know K. Kraven :D :D

I've been trying for years to get a tag in the selkirks. My Uncle lives up there and I hunt Bear and Whitetails there. We often see Moose while hunting and I always hope that one day I too will be rejoicing on the web.
As far as the Hangman area, well I've never heard of Moose being in that area. If there are, I would imagine that they are harboring in the Mica Peak area. There really aren't many other areas that are appealing to moose.
I will put out some feelers and see what I can find. There is a lot of private land in that area, I wouldn't hurt to go scouting, and possibly get some permissions.
Being from the East side, I will tell you that if you make it clear that you are from the West side, make darn good and sure that you let them know that you don't agree with the King County mentality. I've seen some real nice folk from Seattle, turned away, just because the farmers and land owners didn't like the Ford Exlporers and Range Rovers and the Cabelas Catalog look...I would go in the old Chevy truck and dress down, maybe read the Pat Mcginness (sp) story on "the hunker". Believe me, It'll pay off!
If you need someone to kick around with, let me know. If I can get away, I'd be happy to help in any way possible. I'm in the Tri-Cities but I like to hang around in that area. I have a 4 wheeler and a strong back. I'm always looking for my bear, and have never looked in the Mica area... I just wish you had that tag for GMU 113, I could take you straight to the moose, up there.
Make sure and post your success's, even if it's just the scouting...

Thanks for the help offer , we'll see how it goes with the scouting in august, I may be getting in touch with you. Im afraid I have that Eddie Bauer look darn near perfected though. Funny thing is Im so maxed out on my earnings to spending ratio that I cant even afford to rent a beat up old truck.
How do you think the land owners would react to a new dodge ram ,lifted with big tires, loaded with dust and nasty scratches.
so it looks like crud. And I really dont agree with the yuppy king county lifestyle.
Did you ever think about hunting bears on the westside , I live right next to the Olympics and since they did away with the hound hunting I see a few every year. I was just out today crashing through some old clearcuts and found a ton of ripped open stumps . But then again it would be hard to come over here when you guys have those nice color phased bears over there.
Any way Im getting long winded , Thanks for the help and I hope those feelers your putting out come back with some good news.

unit 113 moose tag

I've been trying for years to get a tag in the selkirks. My Uncle lives up there and I hunt Bear and Whitetails there. We often see Moose while hunting and I always hope that one day I too will be rejoicing on the web.
As far as the Hangman area, well I've never heard of Moose being in that area. If there are, I would imagine that they are harboring in the Mica Peak area. There really aren't many other areas that are appealing to moose.
I will put out some feelers and see what I can find. There is a lot of private land in that area, I wouldn't hurt to go scouting, and possibly get some permissions.
Being from the East side, I will tell you that if you make it clear that you are from the West side, make darn good and sure that you let them know that you don't agree with the King County mentality. I've seen some real nice folk from Seattle, turned away, just because the farmers and land owners didn't like the Ford Exlporers and Range Rovers and the Cabelas Catalog look...I would go in the old Chevy truck and dress down, maybe read the Pat Mcginness (sp) story on "the hunker". Believe me, It'll pay off!
If you need someone to kick around with, let me know. If I can get away, I'd be happy to help in any way possible. I'm in the Tri-Cities but I like to hang around in that area. I have a 4 wheeler and a strong back. I'm always looking for my bear, and have never looked in the Mica area... I just wish you had that tag for GMU 113, I could take you straight to the moose, up there.
Make sure and post your success's, even if it's just the scouting...

I drew a moose tag for the Selkirk unit and was wondering if you could direct me towards the Moose. I will be fishing the Brewster salmon derby this weekend and will start scouting in August and September. Need all the help I can get because I've only been to Metaline Falls area twice for joy rides with girl friend.

I took this bull in 2009 in the Selkirk unit, he's right at 45" wide. Try Kalispell Cr. and Lamb creek. Most of the Moose I called in in that unit were on the east side of the unit,, although I did call in moose in both Bunchgrass and Sema meadows as well. Good luck and make sure you come back and tell us your story.

Attachments

• 09 WA Moose Hunt 031[1].jpg
    09 WA Moose Hunt 031[1].jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,351
Last edited:
I drew a moose tag for the Selkirk unit and was wondering if you could direct me towards the Moose. I will be fishing the Brewster salmon derby this weekend and will start scouting in August and September. Need all the help I can get because I've only been to Metaline Falls area twice for joy rides with girl friend.

Not to dampen your spirits but the original posts are from 2001

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back