WA backcountry mule deer, how& where

Billy cummings

I'm a sw wa resident that would like to start backcountry hunting in my home state. Mule deer to begin with. Does anyone have any ideas. I'm not asking for your secret spot just maybe some help. I've hunted west of the cascades for 20 years now, I'd like to get outta the brush, a little šŸ˜

You could try one of the high hunts, the Pasayten Wilderness holds some good Mullies. Granted, its no secret, so unless you get real deep you may not be completely alone. Not sure how much you know about the high hunts, but one nice thing about them is any tag you have applies to the hunt. So you can hunt that season, then if you aren't successful, you still have your general season to hunt as well. As for the how, get to a good vantage point and do some glassing. Good luck!

If you want out of the brush you'll need to go east of the cascades. West of the cascades your only options are clear cuts or alpine areas which aren't abundant and during the high hunt get lots of pressure.
Personally, I got east when I can and then hunt clear cuts behind closed gates now. Used to still hunt the woods but love spot and stalk so much more.

FYI, I have attempted the high hunt a half a dozen times over as many years and didn't see a buck until the third trip. There is a TON of country, and not all of it hold deer. I've never ventured up to the Pasayten but I hear it has better densities than further south. I would say getting away from trails is more important that distance from trailhead, and most of the deer are actually just below tree line.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back