Caribou Gear Tarp

VX5HD or VX3i

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWmontanaOutdoors

I am enrolled in Leupold’s VIP program and have been going back and forth between the lightweight 30mm VX3i in 3.5-14x40 or the slightly heavier VX5HD in 3-15x44.

Not sure if anyone has spent time behind the firedot reticle in the VX5HD but if so, how do you like it?

Optically I know the glass in the VX5 is superior, but is the extra three hundred worth it over the VX3i? Will be taking shots out to 750 or so, and know both scopes are capable. Any input on either is greatly appreciated! Thanks folks!

Last edited:
Don't have firedot and haven't used VX3i but the eye relief alone in VX-5D is worth it in my opinion. If you want to go hunt, you have 3x and go long on range you have 15x. Great variable range for me. I have windplex reticle. Relatively new scope to me so I've just used it on the range but I love it so far.

I am enrolled in Leupold’s VIP program and have been going back and forth between the lightweight 30mm VX3i in 3.5-14x40 or the slightly heavier VX5HD in 3-15x44.

Not sure if anyone has spent time behind the firedot reticle in the VX5HD but if so, how do you like it?

Optically I know the glass in the VX5 is superior, but is the extra three hundred worth it over the VX3i? Will be taking shots out to 750 or so, and know both scopes are capable. Any input on either is greatly appreciated! Thanks folks!
I love both the firedot and the TMOA illuminated. Won't go back. The VX5HD and VX6HD are worth the money if it fits the budget.

I have several of both scopes. Started buying the VX5HD this year and I’m totally amazed how much better scope it is. Love the FireDot even though I didn’t think I would.
Go with the VX5HD and Schmalts does have the best price out there.

Second reply on this.... and since you are a VIP I will not get a sale from you. If you asked, both must be in your price range. The VX5 is a no brainer. I get 5 emails a day similar. A guy buys a 900$ rifle and wants to top it with a VX-Freedom scope. Ok, I will stick my neck out because I am a Leupold lover and salesman, and I know not everyone can afford a VX-6 but to top a higher end gun with a cheap ass scope is an insult to the gun. AGAIN, to clarify, VX-freedom and VX-3i are great for the price range in comparison to other brands, but to buy a rifle over 700$ and then cheap out on the scope is not wise. You would be better getting a cheap Savage rifle and spending more on the scope. If the VX5 is in your price range, go that route. 15 years from now your will still look though it and not think you made a bad choice.

I have both, and while the VX3I is a great scope, the VX5 is just awesome. Look through both models, and you’ll see the difference. The slightly larger size of the VX5 is completely worth the step up in optical quality, IMO.

I have both, and while the VX3I is a great scope, the VX5 is just awesome. Look through both models, and you’ll see the difference. The slightly larger size of the VX5 is completely worth the step up in optical quality, IMO.
Unfortunately I’m in Iraq now and piecing together a build for when I get home, just bought the VX5HD yesterday and is on the way!

Second reply on this.... and since you are a VIP I will not get a sale from you. If you asked, both must be in your price range. The VX5 is a no brainer. I get 5 emails a day similar. A guy buys a 900$ rifle and wants to top it with a VX-Freedom scope. Ok, I will stick my neck out because I am a Leupold lover and salesman, and I know not everyone can afford a VX-6 but to top a higher end gun with a cheap ass scope is an insult to the gun. AGAIN, to clarify, VX-freedom and VX-3i are great for the price range in comparison to other brands, but to buy a rifle over 700$ and then cheap out on the scope is not wise. You would be better getting a cheap Savage rifle and spending more on the scope. If the VX5 is in your price range, go that route. 15 years from now your will still look though it and not think you made a bad choice.
Thank you for the info, and I entirely understand and agree on not skimping on optics. I was originally thinking of the VX3i to save as much weight as I can, but would rather take on a few ounces and have superior glass. Thanks again for the knowledge and information!

I have a VX-R 3-9x, which from what I've read is just a different version of the VX-3, and recently acquired from Schmalts a VX-5 HD 3-15x. VX-5 for the win. I like it so much, that I may sell the VX-R and get another VX-5 when funds allow. I'm always a fan of buying the best that you can afford. If you are considering spending the extra $300, I'm assuming it's because you can afford to spend it. If that's the case, you'll regret not getting the VX-5 in the first place and will likely end up buying it down the road, in which case any savings from getting the less expensive scope will be negated.

I realize you sell these and ignoring the profit motive the better glass & features do make a difference in clarity .....but in real world hunts what possible situations exist where you can kill something with a vx5 that you can’t with a VX 3i?

I realize you sell these and ignoring the profit motive the better glass & features do make a difference in clarity .....but in real world hunts what possible situations exist where you can kill something with a vx5 that you can’t with a VX 3i?

Since the scope doesn't do the killing it doesn't matter. In your OP you said you wanted to shoot out to 750 yards. Out to a couple hundred yards it may not matter. Buy one of each and shoot at something out at 750 yards with each one. Decide which one works best under those circumstances and sell the other one. The worst that can happen is you might take a $50 hit on the one you sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back