VX5HD or VX3i

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize you sell these and ignoring the profit motive the better glass & features do make a difference in clarity .....but in real world hunts what possible situations exist where you can kill something with a vx5 that you can’t with a VX 3i?
You’ll notice the biggest difference at 15-20 minutes before dark, you know that 30 minutes after sunset.

I have a recent vx3i 4-14x50 and while it is not the best scope I own it will allow me to see targets well past shooting light out a few hundred yards. So are you saying the VX5 would allow me to break the law longer? I’m not advocating buying $29 Tasco junk to hunt Elk. But the VX3I is a very effective aiming tool & Im a little critical of people who say you need a $1,000+ scope to shoot big game at a few yards.

I have a recent vx3i 4-14x50 and while it is not the best scope I own it will allow me to see targets well past shooting light out a few hundred yards. So are you saying the VX5 would allow me to break the law longer? I’m not advocating buying $29 Tasco junk to hunt Elk. But the VX3I is a very effective aiming tool & Im a little critical of people who say you need a $1,000+ scope to shoot big game at a few yards.
Are you offended by people's preference of the VX-5HD? I don't think anyone was suggesting breaking the law?? I have both and the VX5 is my preferred scope of the two. Money aside, I get less strain which allows me to be more effective and "shoot big game"

I'm pretty sure, If you won a raffle and had the choice you'd agree.

I don’t have any problems navigating legal shooting hours with a VX3 or a 5. I can barely make out the clarity disparity in full light. If lupe offered firedot in the 3i I’d prolly have em on all my rifles. I’m happy there’s a VXR on my elk carry. Think I know why Leupold now only offers illuminated on their higher priced scopes and I dont blame them.

Are you offended by people's preference of the VX-5HD? I don't think anyone was suggesting breaking the law?? I have both and the VX5 is my preferred scope of the two. Money aside, I get less strain which allows me to be more effective and "shoot big game"

I'm pretty sure, If you won a raffle and had the choice you'd agree.

Not at all - buy the optics that make you happy - I’ve never heard anyone say “wow this glass is just too sharp & clear - it distracts from the reticle”.

I’m reacting to the “cheap out” comment earlier in the thread. My point is that nicer glass than the VX3I while nice to have offers little practical advantage for hunting. Seeing the extra point or eye guard on an animal that makes the difference from Not sure to legal is probably it. I like both my Zeiss V4 & HD5 better than the VX3I but the difference is small enough not to matter for hunting something coyote size and larger. Varmint and target scopes might be a different case.

Not at all - buy the optics that make you happy - I’ve never heard anyone say “wow this glass is just too sharp & clear - it distracts from the reticle”.

I’m reacting to the “cheap out” comment earlier in the thread. My point is that nicer glass than the VX3I while nice to have offers little practical advantage for hunting. Seeing the extra point or eye guard on an animal that makes the difference from Not sure to legal is probably it. I like both my Zeiss V4 & HD5 better than the VX3I but the difference is small enough not to matter for hunting something coyote size and larger. Varmint and target scopes might be a different case.
In case you haven't noticed, the VX-3I is pretty much the HT scope. Numerous threads on how beloved it is. If you have Zeiss scopes why worry about "cheap out" comments?

I like the extra eye relief - and that helps no matter when I'm shooting the rifle.

In case you haven't noticed, the VX-3I is pretty much the HT scope. Numerous threads on how beloved it is. If you have Zeiss scopes why worry about "cheap out" comments?
Denigrating hunters who don’t buy the most expensive scope struck me a little wrong. The member may not even have noticed, he hasn’t replied.
I get asked by newer hunters what to buy - they often think some 6-24 FFP $1,000+ scope is necessary from what they see on TV or read on forums like this. They are surprised you can kill deer every year for the next 20 years with a rifle & scope combo less than $800.

Denigrating hunters who don’t buy the most expensive scope struck me a little wrong. The member may not even have noticed, he hasn’t replied.
I get asked by newer hunters what to buy - they often think some 6-24 FFP $1,000+ scope is necessary from what they see on TV or read on forums like this. They are surprised you can kill deer every year for the next 20 years with a rifle & scope combo less than $800.
If you're referring to @schmalts he is offering his experienced advice. No need to be upset. The general consensus has been, both are good scopes but if you can afford the 5, get the 5. There is always going to be a difference between penny pinchers and overspenders. Plus, the OP bought the VX-5HD so this is pointless. If he was being harassed, then I'd understand your sentiment but we've offered our opinions that he asked for.

Unfortunately I’m in Iraq now and piecing together a build for when I get home, just bought the VX5HD yesterday and is on the way!
Make it back safe, bud!

You'll enjoy the scope. I love mine. What reticle did you go with? I got the FD based off @noharleyyet 's testimonials!

Maybe you missed the point where he said both were in his price range when he asked what to buy. Lighten up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back