VX5-HD help

samhain

Bought this scope new last week and I'm having some issues with it.

First, I don't like how the elevation turret is not capped and can be turned easily. I actually bumped it and it turned 2 clicks and being OCD I sighted the rifle in a 2nd time just to confirm it was 0 at 100yds.
Second, I can't tell if the side parallax even works. I was sighting my gun in at 100yds and I dialed the parallax up to 200 just to see how close it would bring the target and it did nothing. The zoom works fine however.

This is my first high-end scope so I'm not used to some of the features, the clarity is awesome however. The glass in the scope is amazing, I'm just wondering if something is wrong with mine (parallax). The one I bought was a display model because my outfitter was out of stock other than it. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

The VX5 should have an elevation turret lock (ZeroLock System)...I don't own the scope so maybe that's what comes when you order the CDS dial

Sight parallax is not a zoom. It adjusts the scope's "eye" to that particular distance. Google Parallax and there are a few videos and articles explaining pretty well.

Last edited:
The VX5 should have an elevation turret lock (ZeroLock System)...I don't own the scope so maybe that's what comes when you order the CDS dial

Site parallax is not a zoom. It adjusts the scope's "eye" to that particular distance. Google Parallax and there are a few videos and articles explaining pretty well.

This X2
My VX-5 has the zero lock turret, as I believe they all do. Once its zeroed, the turret can be reset so that it stays locked on zero until you push the button to dial elevation. The parallax on the side is an adjustment that's made based on target distance. Your magnification ring is for your zoom.

The VX-5 comes standard with the zero lock turret. The only way to bump it would be if it were not in the locked position. Once you zero at 100-200 yards or whatever you wish, the turret should be reset.

First, read instructions on how your scope functions!!!!! It has a zero lock turret. And the side parallax does not magnify anything

Sounds like OP hasn’t quite figured out his new scope, but as for unintentional spinning of Leopold zero-lock turret, there is a whole thread on this posted a month ago. Happened to me in my antelope hunt. The zero lock is very solid doing down past zero, but is easily release spinning up. But not sure why OP felt the need to re-zero - the whole point fo the system is to be able to reliably move the elevation up and down and reliably return to zero - if you don’t trust that, why buy that feature in the first place

Sounds like OP hasn’t quite figured out his new scope, but as for unintentional spinning of Leopold zero-lock turret, there is a whole thread on this posted a month ago. Happened to me in my antelope hunt. The zero lock is very solid doing down past zero, but is easily release spinning up. But not sure why OP felt the need to re-zero - the whole point fo the system is to be able to reliably move the elevation up and down and reliably return to zero - if you don’t trust that, why buy that feature in the first place

Where is the thread on the zero lock turret getting moved?

Where is the thread on the zero lock turret getting moved?

I mainly bought the scope because of the 30mm tube and the glass quality, I don't need anything this fancy for the hunting I do. After the season is over I'll sell this VX5 and replace it with a VX3 (something a little simpler). I should have done my homework before buying the 5.

I mainly bought the scope because of the 30mm tube and the glass quality, I don't need anything this fancy for the hunting I do. After the season is over I'll sell this VX5 and replace it with a VX3 (something a little simpler). I should have done my homework before buying the 5.
I’ve got a nice 30mm VX3 if you want to work a trade.

The vx5 is pretty dang simple....the zero lock is a nice feature.
Just take 15 min and read the manual that came with the scope. All these questions will be answered in there.
You bought a great scope that will be super clear.

A 30mm tube is of no benefit if you’re not using the elevation and wind age turrets.

If you don’t want to or don’t need to use the cds dial Leupold will send you a cap that screw in instead of the dial. I did this for a vx2 cds I put on my daughters rifle who is 11 and didn’t need the cds feature.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back