Caribou Gear

VX3i vs VX5

Hatchie Dawg

Probably already discussed but would appreciate a quick revisit with this group of people. I have about $1200 in Cabelas points and cards to burn. I have been considering replacing my VX3i which sits on my Tikka .270 with a VX5. VX5 would have a little more magnification.

Lately I've been wondering exactly how much extra performance I'd be purchasing. I shoot to 400yds without CDS but would like to get to 500yds but no further. New scope would be CDS or I can upgrade my VX3i.

Just wondering how much difference folks have noticed between the two models.
Thanks
HD

Current scope is 3.5 x 10 and looking at the 3x15 VX5hd CDS with zero lock. Both are 40ish mm objectives.

I'm looking at McMillan edge stock and then the upgraded optics to trick out the Tikka as a mountain rifle. Just thinking.

Thanks for responses so far.
HD

The 5 you mentioned has a 44MM obj....so a bit more light and claimed better coating. Z stop, greater magnification, CDS, 30mm tube, (Maybe Firedot or no?)...a lot to like

^^^this
I have a a few 3i models bought the first vx5 last asy year. Like brockel said the 3i is no slouch but I'll be upgrading at least one more of them to vx5 this season hopefully. The 3-15 is perfect magnification for most hunting situations imo. Also the McMillan will be a great upgrade. Money well spent on both imo.

Last edited:
If you are wanting to dial distance get the VX5 with the Zero stop. I have the 3-15 x44 on my .270, and it’s been great so far,
very clear glass and tracks true. Clicks are more positive with less backlash that the VX3 / MK 4 scopes I’ve dialed in the past.

Last edited:
Keep in mind the switch WILL change how your gun feels. The VX5 is heavier by a noticeable margin and it's just bigger in general. The VX3i is a great scope for the money and 99% of the people that use them would be completely satisfied. The 5 is noticeably better in low light though.

I just picked up a used VX-3i. I’ve only looked through it in the house, but edge clarity seems a little low.

If you are wanting to dial distance get the VX5 with the Zero stop. I have the 3-15 x44 on my .270, and it’s been great so far,
very clear glass and tracks true. Clicks are more positive with less backlash that the VX3 / MK 4 scopes I’ve dialed in the past.
Just jumped in but exactly what I was wanting to know. Ordering a VX5 3-15 44mm (firedot) to go on my 30-06 with it's new McMillan stock.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back