Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

VX3HD vs VX5HD

WVmike

Looking to put some quality glass on my 7mm Rem Mag Weatherby Vanguard. I just recently put a HS precision stock on it and intend to drop a timney trigger in it as well. Currently I am using a Blackhound 4-14x44 ffp that works fine but I would like some better glass. I am between the Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 or the VX5 3-15x44. Anyone have either of the two? I have looked through a VX3 but not the VX5. I will be using my 7mm as my do everything rifle from whitetail in WV to elk out west. I usually keep shots under 500 yards if I can.

Last edited:
I have 2 VX-5HD scopes...3-15x 44mm Firedot, and a 3-15x 56mm Firedot and love them! Have not looked through a VX-3HD. The 7mm RM is an excellent do it all big game rifle...I have one in a Remington 700 LSS, and like it a lot. Also have a Weatherby Lazerguard in .257 Wby. mag, and it is a shooter! My experience has been that the Vanguards (Howa) are great guns for the money.

Last edited:
I have 2 VX-5HD scopes...3-15x 44mm Firedot, and a 3-15x 56mm Firedot and love them! Have not looked through a VX-3HD. The 7mm RM is an excellent do it all big game rifle...I have one in a Remington 700 LSS, and like it a lot.
Did you use a rail or just rings and did you use low or medium rings for the 44?

Most of my rifles have vx3’s on them because they are hard to beat for their price range. (All except one are the 3i’s, only one of the new 3HDs and I can’t really tell a difference except the price.) Those vx5’s are sweet! I have one 3-15 and one 2-10 and those rifles have become my favorites to shoot over the last two years. If it’s in your budget get the 5, if that’s a stretch or you need to upgrade something else too get the 3 and you’ll still have great glass.

I have bought 3 VX5 HDs, 3-15x44 in the last year. Glass is excellent, they track well, and the firedot is great for a big game rifle. The other 2 are on a .204 and a .223, both Dakotas, so got windplex on those. Never looked through a VX 3. As far as rings, I used Talley; just called them and told them what rifles and scopes I had and they fixed me up.

Good luck.

I have both but one of my brothers has dads 264. In any event I shot both yesterday. 3.5x10 HD is on my 06, it’s new. The VX5 is on my 338 jarrett. Five years old I think. I fired two shots at 200 with the .338, first since last April. Spun the dial for one shot hits at 4,5,6, missed at 7 hit with the next. Blame it on the wind.
Results were about the same with the 06 and the Vx 3. Both scopes worked reliably. It was mid day bright sun and the only advantage between the two was 15x to 10x on the longer targets. From my perspective I like the slightly smaller/lighter scope but I don’t think the difference is significant.
For what it’s worth I have a couple of old scopes I’ll need to upgrade this year I’ll probably go with the vx3HD and the rifle I take to Africa end of April will have a vx3 on it.

I have bought 3 VX5 HDs, 3-15x44 in the last year. Glass is excellent, they track well, and the firedot is great for a big game rifle. The other 2 are on a .204 and a .223, both Dakotas, so got windplex on those. Never looked through a VX 3. As far as rings, I used Talley; just called them and told them what rifles and scopes I had and they fixed me up.

Good luck.
Great service at Talley, and they answer their phone.

I have an older Vari-X III 3.5x-10 50mm Duplex in silver on my 700 LSS...nothing wrong with that scope either...have to use a coin for scope adjustments, and doesn't have a Firedot, but have killed a few nice bucks with this combo over the years.

Last edited:
Just went through the same decision making process.

3 is lighter, cheaper
5 gives more adjustment, probably better glass I’m assuming, heavier, requires new rings for me

Given both have zero lock and zero stop, and i don’t need more than one turn adjustment I went with the 3.

Just went through the same decision making process.

3 is lighter, cheaper
5 gives more adjustment, probably better glass I’m assuming, heavier, requires new rings for me

Given both have zero lock and zero stop, and i don’t need more than one turn adjustment I went with the 3.
What he said

I think the 3-15x44 VX5HD with windplex reticle is just about the finest hunting scope ever made for western hunting. The VX3HD is no slouch either. If you can afford the VX5 though, I recommend that. You'll never wonder if you made the right decision.

I have the VX5-HD-3x44 HDMR on my Browning BAR 30.06. I’m using the Browning BAR/BLR Integrated Mounting System.

If you are a vet you can get a 40% discount by ordering directly from Leupold..

I have them both. IMHO, there is a significant difference in the quality of glass in favor of the VX5. Especially at max magnification and at low light. Both are CDS models and track as they are supposed to, but as others have said the firedot is worth it’s weight in gold. Overall, weight and price is the only advantage the VX3 has in my opinion.

That’s where I’m stuck. Having the discount makes me want to pay an extra $150 to get the VX5. Buy once, cry once!
Live by that motto and you’ll be a happier person. Choose what’s best for you. You don’t get to take a “do-over” out in the field. I’ve been building up for the past two years in preparation for a moose hunt in Canada in 2023. In all cases, I’m telling myself that it’s all leading up to the squeezing of that trigger. When I add up all the numbers I would never forgive myself if something failed because I didn’t want to spend “that little extra”. It’s a one-time cost, so amortized over 5 years, it’s nothing. And that’s not Brandon math!

Last edited:
The vx3 is a good scope but the 5 is noticeably better. I have 3 of the 5's. One of them the 3-15. Excellent scope. Worth the extra money.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back