VW TDI service due....should I avoid dealership?

Joe Hulburt

My wife has one of the "illegal" TDI Jetta Sportwagens and it is due for it's 40K service. Since VW gave us a complimentary $500 (VW use only) gift card I was thinking of taking it in for it's very expensive 40K service. My issue is I am paranoid they will try and reprogram the computer to fix their dirty little secret and we will lose performance. The $500 gift card seems like it might be too good to be true and normally if something seems too good to be true it is. Could be I am unnecessarily paranoid? Could be I will never trust VW again?

Anybody have any knowledge on this subject?

The EPA hasn't agreed to any software updates to fix the concern so there shouldn't be anything sneaky. The work order you sign that says what work will be performed is a legal document, as long as what's on it is clear you should be fine.

I assume, like I do with my wife's VW to keep it under warranty, you take it to the dealer for the oil changes? if so I would also assume they could reprogram the computer during one of those simple oil changes. I wouldn't worry about it and take advantage of the free money. Also, our VW just rolled over the 100,000 mile mark and because of the high cost I never did any of the expensive 40,000 mile type services and I've never had an issue with our car.

The EPA hasn't agreed to any software updates to fix the concern so there shouldn't be anything sneaky. The work order you sign that says what work will be performed is a legal document, as long as what's on it is clear you should be fine.

Thanks, that makes sense, I'll probably do it this time.

I assume, like I do with my wife's VW to keep it under warranty, you take it to the dealer for the oil changes? if so I would also assume they could reprogram the computer during one of those simple oil changes. I wouldn't worry about it and take advantage of the free money. Also, our VW just rolled over the 100,000 mile mark and because of the high cost I never did any of the expensive 40,000 mile type services and I've never had an issue with our car.

I have been taking it to VW for oil changes since they were free up until now and the issue hadn't been identified at the last change. I'll be skipping some of the recommended 40K stuff as it would be $1,150 for all. Had I researched what the maintenance costs were she would probably be driving a Toyota Tacoma......like I had suggested.

one more tip on your VW. not sure if that model has the electronic parking brake or not. if it does. do not try to change the rear brakes yourself. you will not be able to C clamp the rear calipers shut to install the new pads like you can do on most brake systems. it will need to be put on the VW computer in order to change the rear brakes. that cost me $500 at the dealer!! I did the fronts myself and thank God the service guy told me about the computer issue for the bakes or I would have had to tow the damn thing to the dealer from my garage. the maintenance is high on these cars, luckily I bought the extra 100,000 mile warranty so I haven't had to pay for much.........yet!

The rear brakes have had to have a special tool since '98, for the regular cable parking brake too.

I have a 2005 VW gas and when it gets cold out I have problems with it. The door alarm says the door is always open, the switches on the drivers side door do not work, and if I pop the trunk it takes some jury rigging to close it again. As soon as spring arrives and it warms up this stops. I thought that maybe putting it in a heated garage to thaw it out would help, but that did not. It still gets 30+ mpg and other than being annoying it is not a big issue I guess, but like others said the maintenance is expensive.

its good to hear about this stuff,,i know im not not gonna buy one,,,$1100 @40000 mile service seems crazy and im a mechanic,what all is done at 40 k on a v w ?and $500 for rear brakes?you got to be kidding.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back