Vortex viper - what height mounts?

Yssanedau

I have a 110 Predator Hunter Max 1, and I'm going to be getting a Vortex Viper HsT 6-24x50mm with a 30mm tube. My choice of brand for the mounts is the viper specific mounts, (mainly because if there's any issue with the scope holding zero, it's one of the first questions I heard vortex will ask before getting into exchanges- so I plan on using all Vortex mounting stuff just in case I ever have an issue.). My big question is:
On the rifle, should I go with the high rings? (I'm assuming for a 50mm it's what I'll need, but Where none of this stuff is available locally, I'd rather buy right the first time than get into exchanges/returns)

It would be a 50mm objective lens.

As for scope height, that all depends on you. Needs to be high enough for clearance, but you need a clear straight on view throught it.

There are ring height finders online, Vortex may have one.

I use low Vortex Viper rings with my 4-20X50 Sightron STAC. But i'm using an EGW 20 MOA one piece base. EGW bases are kinda tall.

It depends on you and the rifle. For instance on my 110 predator in .22-250 I have low rings but on my custom .243 I have high rings. What you could do is order them from Amazon and just return the ones you don’t need. That’s what I would do.

It depends one the rifle but Vortex does have guidance on what height rings and they are pretty responsive if you post a question, "x scope for y rifle, what rings?"

I assume you should buy a 30mm ring ... But its better to ask them before ordering to avoid any hassles. As LAsportsman said, they have a pretty responsive and good customer care team.

I use Talley LWs on my Weatherby, which has a Viper HS 6-24x50 on top. I’ve forgotten where I found the information, but I used Medium height rings and it’s worked out quite well with the Monte Carlo cheek piece on the vanguard S2. For comparison, my Howa 1500 has the same height rings for a 1” scope (stolen from the Wby when I got a 30mm tube for it) and the mediums are a bit high on the straight comb. I ended up adding a Bear creek cheek riser (the neoprene ones) to give me a touch more comfort

If it is on standard mounts, then probably medium is OK and low may work, also. I have some rails on rifles that low would work fine, but chose mediums and I like them just fine. If you have any doubts, go with mediums. Not enough difference to care. Good luck with Vortex.

Things like LOP, eye relief, length of rail, length of main tube of the scope, angle of expansion on the objective “bell” all can have a significant impact on minimum ring height. I’d start with mediums and if you can’t get the scope set right to fit you, then you can go up or down as needed.

I have a Viper HS 4-16x50 on a Howa 6.5 Creedmoor Heavy Barrel. Mounted in American Rifle Company Low rings. They are flat out awesome. Super strong and easy to mount. Vortex is pretty adamant about the torque specs one should use to for mounting their scopes even if not in Vortex rings, However the ARC rings are single thread on top so allow a higher torque. Regardless they are the best rings I’ve used hands down just pricey. Google Vortex scopes, mounts and torque and it all comes up.

On the Tikka Roughtech I bought last summer this is my set up. Scope- Viper PST GENII 5x25x50mm Pic rail- Mountain Tactical 0 moa (from MT) Rings- Vortex Precision 30mm low rings

With that setup I have ample clearance and good eye relief and alignment. Here is what it looks like. Hard to tell but there is about 3/16 in clearance between the objective and barrel.

Attachments

• 20211211_095652.jpg
    20211211_095652.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211211_095831.jpg
    20211211_095831.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I have a 110 Predator Hunter Max 1, and I'm going to be getting a Vortex Viper HsT 6-24x50mm with a 30mm tube. My choice of brand for the mounts is the viper specific mounts, (mainly because if there's any issue with the scope holding zero, it's one of the first questions I heard vortex will ask before getting into exchanges- so I plan on using all Vortex mounting stuff just in case I ever have an issue.). My big question is:
On the rifle, should I go with the high rings? (I'm assuming for a 50mm it's what I'll need, but Where none of this stuff is available locally, I'd rather buy right the first time than get into exchanges/returns)
Call Vortex customer care and they can give you the most accurate info. 1-800-486-7839 ext 9206

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back