VLD style mono?

mtmuley

A good friend of mine has decided to do something he enjoys for a living. Try to anyway. I'm just trying to guage interest in a VLD style all-copper bullet. I'll post some pics when I get home from what I do for a living. mtmuley

HSM Trophy Gold which uses VLDs is my off the shelf ammo of choice. If a VLD style bullet was offered in solid copper I'd be extremely interested in it, particularly when I start reloading again.

Sounds interesting. Do you think you would run into OAL issues with the added length that would come from the lighter weight of copper? I am assuming he is looking to take something mike a Barnes LRX to the next level.

I started playing around with VLD's in the early 2000's for cross course HP for a dedicated 600 yard round. I was using JLK's 90 grain in a fast twist 1 in 6.5 barrel on my .223. They were very good bullets but always found VLD's to be a lot more finicky than a bullet with a more forgiving ogive.

In the end they didn't help me read the wind any better, they didn't make my rifle any more accurate, they might of saved me a click or two here and there but the cost and finicky nature of them didn't bring anything to the table I didn't already have. Now on further distances of 1000 yards or more those saved clicks could be a serious factor but not for 600 yards in.

So, for a practical hunting bullet of 400 yards shots or so I don't see any need for a mono vld. That's just me and everyone to their own. I believe it would be a very limited market but sometimes if you create the want factor the need doesn't matter.

Southwind, I think you underestimate the market. Especially the longrange market where lead might be illegal. Bullets that fly flatter are in demand anyway. Crappy pic, but 180, 175 and 165 grain left to right. Rebated boat tails. Don't know how it will shake out yet. This is a good site to get hunter info and feedback. Thanks for the response so far. I have a selection to load, and will post what I learn. Bullets are in the testing mode, so issues like OAL are yet to be determined. More calibers will follow, and I am looking forward to the .243 version also. The 6.5 market is high on the list too. Thanks guys, mtmuley

Attachments

• DSCF0548.jpg
    DSCF0548.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 139
Barnes and Cutting Edge copper already make them but by no means do either of them have the market cornered. If your buddy could make something similar in BC to the accubond LR, but in all copper, he could have something.

With Cali going lead free, I have a feeling other states will follow, the market will only grow...unfortunately. They say as Cali goes the rest of the nation goes but I hope that trend stops.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back