Caribou Gear Tarp

Vision detection technology for hunting

Hmm... do you have a link or brand name for the current system you use? I'm thinking I could put out a total system to ship for $125-175 depending on a few more unknowns and a couple months of development. How's that price sounding?
One other big user of this would be researchers. There's getting to be quite a few camera trap studies for both presence and populations. I know our local Sportsman's group funded one for elk that includes $50 cameras. Almost the entire costs are processing the images. Sorting photos would be a worthwhile application for AI.

Hmm... do you have a link or brand name for the current system you use? I'm thinking I could put out a total system to ship for $125-175 depending on a few more unknowns and a couple months of development. How's that price sounding?
I just have browning trail cameras. I hang them in the woods and leave them for weeks or sometimes months. Then I go out and switch the SD cards out of them and put the used SD cards in my computer and scroll thru all the pictures it took. Now if you found a way to make it so the computer or whatever you use to read the SD card could filter and sort out the pictures that would be great.

Just thinking outside the box here, but could this possibly have some application for a hunter with some sort of visual impairment?

There is already something similar
Not surprisingly out of utah.
Also google has some software developed to recognize animals in trail cam pics. They even have a commercial about it for a snow leopard study.

Personally I really wish stuff like this and FLIR would be heavily regulated out of hunting.
It would certainly have some benefits to game agencies and others but doesn't belong in fair chase in my opinion.

Does anyone remember the good old days when hunting was a completely immersive sensory experience and you could feel your body blend into the rhythms of the woods?
When your hearing picked up an approaching footfall and your mind beat your eyes to identifying approaching game?

I think that was probably back before Super Mario Brothers. Maybe as far back as Pac-Man.

Back when hunting was as much about finding, finding yourself, and nature, and God, and camaraderie, and being thrilled with the little things you didn’t expect to see that day. Sometimes we even shot something.

Does anyone remember the good old days when hunting was a completely immersive sensory experience and you could feel your body blend into the rhythms of the woods?
When your hearing picked up an approaching footfall and your mind beat your eyes to identifying approaching game?

I think that was probably back before Super Mario Brothers. Maybe as far back as Pac-Man.

Back when hunting was as much about finding, finding yourself, and nature, and God, and camaraderie, and being thrilled with the little things you didn’t expect to see that day. Sometimes we even shot something.

I think there are still a lot that can relate to all of that. Especially us adult onset hunters.

Last edited:
I think there are still a lot that can relate to all of that. Especially us adult onset hunters.
Get real. We are all just bloody killers. Dead stuff is cool.😉

No, I know there’s a lot of folks to whom the journey is as important as the destination. If it weren’t, my Instagram feed would be full of chops in the meat aisle instead of the highlights of the hunt.

Hi All,

New to this forum and will admit up front that I am not a hunter but a giant computer nerd instead. I'm wondering if there would be an useful applications for hunters with an app on their phone that can spot wild game or dangerous animals and then vibrate or make another type of alert to the hunter when the phone spots the animal(s) it's looking for. The pic below kind of shows what I'm going for. Any help greatly appreciated. I was thinking more that hunters strap the phone onto their chests or arms more so than just having the phone act as a game cameras but would be interested in game camera applications too.
An app like this is the same reason not to use a guide who calls his client once an animal is found and being watched or the mtn lion is already treed.

Hi All,

New to this forum and will admit up front that I am not a hunter but a giant computer nerd instead. I'm wondering if there would be an useful applications for hunters with an app on their phone that can spot wild game or dangerous animals and then vibrate or make another type of alert to the hunter when the phone spots the animal(s) it's looking for. The pic below kind of shows what I'm going for. Any help greatly appreciated. I was thinking more that hunters strap the phone onto their chests or arms more so than just having the phone act as a game cameras but would be interested in game camera applications too.
View attachment 141223
Best,
Eric

The good thing Big Fin expects respect on this forum. Hunters must live by a legal and moral code in order to conserve nature and its gifts. A key word is fair chase. There is always an argument. Some say the most modern rifle scope and range finder combos are unfair. Are decoys fair? Are wheel bows fair? Camo? Shooting an animal using a drone? We need to stay aware and ask tough questions respectfully. Where is your line? Me? I believe in all naturale! Butt baked and no weapons except my sharpened teeth and grown out nails (using natural stones to sharpen of course)!!! 😂 I believe this falls under unfair chase.

I've also heard that most hunting restrictions don't apply to wild pigs. "Use dynamite if you like" I was told. Is this the case and if so can anybody nudge in the right direction towards making this useful?

Feral species are a huge problem and nearly impossible to hunt in some areas. I tried hunting pigs on the Olympic Penninsula and it was nearly impossible in that jungle. The only success I had was blinds and bait.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back