Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Vibrator

Why is this guy resizing, trimming and chamfering then stainless tumbling?

I don't think he is. I'd assume he's like most people who tumble to get sizing lube off a case and trims/chamfers/deburs only on virgin brass or after a handful of firings when the brass needs trimming again.

I don't think he is. I'd assume he's like most people who tumble to get sizing lube off a case and trims/chamfers/deburs only on virgin brass or after a handful of firings when the brass needs trimming again.
I'll read it again. I've stainless tumbled brass and have never seen case mouth damage. mtmuley

I'll read it again. I've stainless tumbled brass and have never seen case mouth damage. mtmuley

What he calls case mouth damage the vast majority of us reloaders wouldn't notice. What he's saying makes sense to me in regards to leaving some carbon in the neck and not roughing up the chamfers on the case mouths to get more consistent seating pressure and grip on the bullets. I also like the idea of carbon impeding "cold welding" brass to bullet (this is theoretical, no first hand experience). I SS tumble cleaned all my brass for 4 or 5 years and the ammo i load now using cases cleaned with rice isn't perceptibly better on the target or over the chronograph than when I SS wet tumbled. It isn't as clean as the SS tumbled brass either.

So while I like the idea that im probably getting more consistent grip on the bullets, it's less of a driver than just preferring to not deal with the water and drying brass when wet tumbling.

What he calls case mouth damage the vast majority of us reloaders wouldn't notice. What he's saying makes sense to me in regards to leaving some carbon in the neck and not roughing up the chamfers on the case mouths to get more consistent seating pressure and grip on the bullets. I also like the idea of carbon impeding "cold welding" brass to bullet (this is theoretical, no first hand experience). I SS tumble cleaned all my brass for 4 or 5 years and the ammo i load now using cases cleaned with rice isn't perceptibly better on the target or over the chronograph than when I SS wet tumbled. It isn't as clean as the SS tumbled brass either.

So while I like the idea that im probably getting more consistent grip on the bullets, it's less of a driver than just preferring to not deal with the water and drying brass when wet tumbling.
I only SS tumble brass that I send down the road. Lots of range pickup. Sells better. mtmuley

Back