Veteran at Walmart.

Big Slick

Today I had the pleasure of shaking a World War II Veterans hand and telling him thank you. He said he was glad to have done it and would do it again with no question. He told me he was 92 yrs old, I would loved to have had the chance to get to hear some stories if it were possible. It was very cool getting to talk just for a moment but a honor to shake his hand.

http://www.texomashomepage.com/stor...union-next-month/26668/zwCO-WvELUqhfzI4sufptw

This organization and their families will be in our city next week. I belong to a group that will honor them with a barbecue rib bash for their closing day's ceremonies next Friday evening.... we have provided the same for over a decade and have had the honor of meeting many of these greatest generation men and the sorrow of seeing fewer each year. This will be their 23rd and last reunion here.

Last edited:
There was a movie released in 2014 called "Fury" which starred Brad Pitt and Shia LeBeouf which was about a WWII tank battalion which was in it to the end. One of the members of my VFW post was in that battalion and was approached to go out to Hollywood, he and his wife, to be an advisor on the film, so he got to meet and hobnob with Pitt and the cast; said he had a great time. He always sits next to me at the meetings and I really enjoy talking to him. Too soon he'll be gone too.

I have coffee everyday with a WWII B-24 bombidere that was shot down two times in consecutive missions and crash landed once. What an honor to here his stories of bailing out in German territory and making it back. He just turned 91, what a man.

Good for you. I always extend my hand and say thank you when I see veteran hats. Last night out for dinner shook hands with a wounded Vietnam vet. His eyes lit up and it made both our evenings. When I do it I say "thank you sir" loud enough that surrounding people can hear it.

Back