Very interesting and different point of view on banning of deer baiting and supplemental feeding

Kinda sounds like a guy who really really like shoot'n deer over feeders.
Actually, more like a guy who really likes to make money $$$ from guys who like to shoot deer over feeders. When considering such issues, IMO it's important to examine perspectives with the question, "Does the opinion emanate from the hunting legacy or from a desire to make money from hunting?"

this isnt so much of a item in the westerns states , but in the midwest it's is a much bigger and common to put out bait for whitetails, and I am not saying that he isn't biased or slanted to his business. But the point he is making trends to be on point with what has been discussed by wildlife managers as to how deer behave here when getting food/water/cover etc.etc. it's just interesting as these issues have been pounded here in the midwest now for 10yrs?? and this conversation is the first time anyone has really brought up these points. just a neat point of discussion here in midwest.

this isnt so much of a item in the westerns states , but in the midwest it's is a much bigger and common to put out bait for whitetails, and I am not saying that he isn't biased or slanted to his business. But the point he is making trends to be on point with what has been discussed by wildlife managers as to how deer behave here when getting food/water/cover etc.etc. it's just interesting as these issues have been pounded here in the midwest now for 10yrs?? and this conversation is the first time anyone has really brought up these points. just a neat point of discussion here in midwest.

His point just doesn't track in my mind, if baiting is universally illegal in Michigan then why are the deer traveling?

My argument would be that they will just stay in their home range and eat what's naturally there. Bait is supplemental feed it's not a primary food source. Sure if one neighbor was baiting and nobody else was then the deer might all migrate over to that 40 acre plot.

There are tons of states that ban baiting and this doesn't cause deer to congregate.

Only certain CWD hotspots have baiting bans in Michigan, it isnt statewide.

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79136_79772_79773_83479---,00.html

Also, parts of the states get very heavy snowfall that make the deer migrate to deer yards in cedars swamps this happen in wisconsin/minnesota/michigan , probably pennsyvania and new york as well (I am not sure).

It is a complex issue here in midwest, probably of no consequence in the westerns states.

It's a western issue as well, I think it's cropping up anywhere people are feeding deer/elk

I don't think his argument holds water. Wildlife, including deer, don't exist in a vacuum. Short of a high fence you can not stop natural dispersion which happens no matter how much food, cover, water or salt you have.

The baiting bam is s joke without also banning food plots.
You cant compare hunting in MI with what we have in the west.
I think the gentlemen has s valid point in regards to baiting actually dispersing deer over the land scape.

The baiting bam is s joke without also banning food plots.
You cant compare hunting in MI with what we have in the west.
I think the gentlemen has s valid point in regards to baiting actually dispersing deer over the land scape.

The deer that are hitting those feeders sure as heck aren't dispersed. And they're surely more likely to transmit CWD to the other deer hitting the feeder with them than if those deer were just feeding naturally.

I guess you could make the argument that once CWD inevitably hits by having small groups of deer that are infected staying on one feeder it may slow the spread to other groups that are hitting other feeders. But the young bucks that are most likely to disperse and seek out other groups, especially during the rut regardless of feeding are going to wreck that notion IMO.

The deer that are hitting those feeders sure as heck aren't dispersed. And they're surely more likely to transmit CWD to the other deer hitting the feeder with them than if those deer were just feeding naturally.

I guess you could make the argument that once CWD inevitably hits by having small groups of deer that are infected staying on one feeder it may slow the spread to other groups that are hitting other feeders. But the young bucks that are most likely to disperse and seek out other groups, especially during the rut regardless of feeding are going to wreck that notion IMO.
Natural food sources like oak and beech groves, abandoned apple orchards, etc do the exact same thing.
In the northern half of Upper MI where I use to love it's not uncommon to have 90% of the deer in a particular county winter in a few cedar swamps.
Also keep in. Ind that it woukd not be uncommon in MI to have dozens of bait piles per section. When I lived there I had exclusive hunting rights to an 80 acre parcel, which was quit alot of land for one guy. Not uncommon to have several guys per 40 acre parcel.

To much human interaction with wild critters and there seems to be more and more. Sorta like you gotta have a picture of every animal your gonna hunt and they needed supplemental feeding.

We have CWD in Arkansas. They allow baiting only on private land during hunting season. Although I am not impressed by hunting over a feeder and wouldn't care if they banned it completely, if it wasn't allowed our deer population would be out of control. The fact is that around here many hunters wouldn't kill a deer if they couldn't hunt over a corn feeder. They don't have the know-how or motivation to actually go out and hunt deer. So in our state it just comes down to a management tool and probably a state game and fish revenue issue because some hunters might quit completely.

keep baiting out of MN; you guys can have that; my buddy in Northern WI can bait and it doesnt sound the same to me; i ask about reading deer sign and such and he says you dont need to worry about that with corn piles and if you dont bait, your chances of getting a deer is pretty small...

Back