Venison Italian Sausage

idnative1948

Was given some, but not sure what to do with it and do not want to waste it. Only thing I was told is that I may want to add some ground pork. Any receipes?

Bulk or link?

Usually a wild game sausage is 1/2 pork and 1/2 venison.

Usually Italian sausage is cased in natural casings. They are good to grill on the BBQ (my favorite way), but you can also use it bulk to make a spicy biscuit gravy.

You can pan fry the links untl they are cooked through. Some folks boil them then brown the outside of the links.

Check out this link for more ideas

Is this already a finished product? If so, you can add to a pizza or whip up a meat sauce for pasta, out-of-bird dressing is really good using italian sausage. If they are cased, they can be grilled or removed from casing and used in as in previous examples.

I make a ton if italian sausage from game meat. I typically make bulk (uncased) sausage with about 15-20% pork fat content (that is how we like to eat it). I prefer using fat back or the trimmings from pork belly as I don't feel there is a need to add actual pork meat to the sausage, just the fat for flavor and moisture.

If you have received just ground venison, and want to make sausage - cut up your fatty pork and put it in the freezer for 30min. Grind and mix with ground venison and sausage seasoning. There are many good recipes online and spice houses such as Penzey's sell premade mixes.

good luck.

I would boil in beer and then grill them with onions and bell peppers then serve them with pasta and a really bright tomato sauce :)

Use it on pizza, in spaghetti, lasagna.

Edit: I made some one year, and I went 30% pork bellies. The spicy Italian was one of our favorites. If it has pork added to it I wouldn't change it, unless it's too dry for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get sausage made up like this year every year, usually out of bear. Mines usually southern country, hot Italian or German.

I use it for all sorts of stuff. We had bear sausage biscuits and gravy on Christmas this year, and my wife made a killer pizza using the German sausage with red onion, jalapeños and cilantro. I'm making meatball subs tonight with some of the German stuff.

I like making meatloaf combining a pound of the sausage with a pound of burger.

We add it to spaghetti sauce, make meatballs, biscuits and gravy, chili, mix with elk burger for hamburgers. Tons of options.

I like to make nachos with Italian Sausage also. Spread tortilla chips on an oven safe platter or cookie sheet, sprinkle crumbled, cooked Italian sausage on top. Then spread shredded cheese over the top and place in preheated oven until cheese melts and serve with sour cream and salsa.

You cant go wrong with bisquits and gravy. You can also just make into patties, put a little mustard on it and eat with eggs and toast.

I like to take it out of the casings, brown it and add it to dirty rice (Zataran's brand). Yum!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back