Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Venison back strap recipe?

i often do all my back straps the same way generally, especially since getting a pellet grill

i season with garlic salt, chile powder, cayenne, and black pepper usually the day before and put it in the fridge overnight, covered

kick on the pellet grill to about 185-190 and put the thermometer in the thickest part of the meat

smoke until internal temp of about 110, remove from grill and let rest a minimum of 10 minutes covered

heat up a cast iron to about 500-550 degrees, add avocado oil or butter, preferably butter

sear for about a minute each side, even less for smaller back strap

should result in a perfect rare if done carefully

i have pics of this process with a smaller mule deer roast, same process only smoking and searing time are increased

View attachment 160132View attachment 160133View attachment 160134

I did this tonight with my new pellet smoker. Altered the seasoning a bit but process is the same. Turned out amazing! Probably the best way I've ever cooked venison, it was a huge hit with the family.

Attachments

• KIMG0458~2.JPG
    KIMG0458~2.JPG
    865.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I did this tonight with my new pellet smoker. Altered the seasoning a bit but process is the same. Turned out amazing!

mmm mmm, that looks awesome

it feels like cheating it makes meat so yummy

honestly, i only do legit smoking in my pellet grill like 5% of the time. the other 95% is adding smoke to stuff and searing

Just salt and lots of black pepper. Get oven to 210 degrees. Place back strap on roasting pan. Stick a thermometer in it and keep it in the oven until internal temp of meat reads 106 degrees. Remove meat. Bring oven temp to 550 degrees while meat rests on counter. Then into oven for 8 minutes.

Also, during those 8 minutes place your serving plates into microwave. Remove them with some mitts and place a chunk of butter on each plate then unsliced backstrap chunks on top of the melting butter. Pour some a1 sauce around perimeter of plate. Eat.

Backstrap needs to be eaten rare.

1/3-1/2 if a full deer loin (12-14”) well trimmed. One package of McCormick garlic pepper marinade (the dry envelope). In a gallon ziplock bag prep marinade as per instructions and add loin. Let rest for 2 hours to over night. In a cast iron skillet with a high temp oil, get the pan smoking hot. Add loin and get a good crusty hard sear on both sides. If you are not setting off the fire alarms, it’s likely not hot enough. Once you have a good sear, into the oven till cooked to you liking. I normally go for med to Med-rare, a good pink. Let rest wrapped in foil, then slice thin cross grain. Serve with sour cream with a big dollop of extra hot horseradish mixed in. Stand back.

Rub in cooking oil and sprinkle with Lawreys. Then grill over charcoal at a pretty high heat. Baste often with melted butter that has freshly pressed garlic and rosemary in it.
Take it to 130 degrees and let it rest ten minutes.
Slice to desired thickness and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt.7AF7640C-070C-4E30-B345-C4B16303623F.jpeg

Tonight, I made Hank Shaw’s recipe for Venison with an Icelandic blueberry sauce out of his book, Buck Buck Moose. Probably on his website too... Definitely a different combination of flavors than my wife or I are used to, but it was good! She had the first bite and told me I can cook this recipe again. My own regret was using a bit of a stringy roast instead of a chunk of backstrap.

Last edited:
Backstrap is my favorite meal of all time, if I had to choose my last one that would be it. All I do is a little olive oil, salt and pepper and grill rare. Same thing as boomer

I took elk and venison back straps yesterday and tried reverse searing them. Turned out delicious! First I seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic. Then I put them in the smoker at 225 for roughly a hour until I hit a internal temp of 115 degrees. After that I took them out and let them rest for about ten minutes while I heated up the skillet with a little olive oil and butter. Once the skillet was hot I seared them on each side for a minute. Once I seared them I took them out and served immediately.

Attachments

• F16888F5-EE73-4668-A197-9BDE0E7A1C2E.jpeg
    F16888F5-EE73-4668-A197-9BDE0E7A1C2E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back