Varying arrow length question

HighDesertSage

I ordered some new arrows from an online vendor, new ones showed up, and what they sent me ended up being 3/32" - 1/8" longer than my existing arrows. Question for you more experienced archery guys. Before I call them up, send them back, and wait two weeks for the new ones to show up, is it really going to change my poi enough to matter within bowhunting ranges?

I'm 50/50 on what to do. Half of me says I ordered a specific length for a reason, I should send them back to be fixed even thought it'll take a couple weeks. The other half says I am being OCD and the difference will be negligible. Just go shoot them.

Shoot'em, they will work just fine. That is if they match what you have already determined to be acceptable. That 3/32-to-1/8" will not make a difference unless you are shooting extremely lite and extremely fast....and are teetering on the edge of shooting the correct spine.

I’ve done quite a bit of shooting and in my experience you won’t notice a difference. Even when long range shooting your point of impact should remain unnoticeable.

Echo everything already said. If your bow is throwing equally spined/weighted arrows off by less than 1/8 of an inch substantially off POI then you might need a tune more than arrows!

Far more important is labeling all of your arrows and finding your top 3 during your summer practice sessions.

That being said, I built my own arrow saw to get away from exactly this. I found that no two batches of arrows were ever cut the same. I'll try to post a how-to on the arrow saw sometime. I think i did it for under $50 instead of the $200+ you see them for at Cabelas. Another benefit of this is I build all the arrows for my hunting party now. It's actually really nice to hunt with a couple guys where we all are shooting the same brand, spine, and length arrows. It has actually saved us in the past a couple times when one of us forgot or lost our arrows.

Doubt there will be a difference that can be seen. If they are 3/32” longer and for example your arrow is 9.5 grains per inch.
3/32=0.09375”
0.09375”x9.5=0.890625 grains. So not even a single grain weight difference. I’m guessing you’ll see more variance throughout most of your shafts depending on what grade they are for tolerance.

General question add on, but didn’t want to start a new thread…what grain weights do you all usually find a difference in pattern of the arrows. I have two arrows types that look like they are close, but one is averaging 10gr heavier than the other. This caused me to weight everything on all the arrows. My hunting arrow is 500gr, and the target practice arrow is 484gr. Most of the difference is in the lighted nock and points. When I shoot them, I didn’t see a big difference, at least under 45yds. Probably need to move out to 60yds and check?

General question add on, but didn’t want to start a new thread…what grain weights do you all usually find a difference in pattern of the arrows. I have two arrows types that look like they are close, but one is averaging 10gr heavier than the other. This caused me to weight everything on all the arrows. My hunting arrow is 500gr, and the target practice arrow is 484gr. Most of the difference is in the lighted nock and points. When I shoot them, I didn’t see a big difference, at least under 45yds. Probably need to move out to 60yds and check?
Reading that first part I was going to say that 16 grains is basically the difference in a nock and lighted nock. Or lots of glue and a longer wrap or maybe the difference between 3-2” vanes and 3-4” vanes. I’m guessing 60 you won’t see much of a difference…

I don’t like to think this way or say this, but I’m not sure how many bowhunters out there could shoot and see the difference in 16grains?

So I am by no means degrading anyone’s archery skills.

Last edited:
Heat the points and pull them out and cut them off to wat u need if u have a saw

What others have said, you’ll be fine but it’s just the OCD aspect of most of us bowhunters that will drive you nuts knowing everything isn’t “exactly” the same lol (says the guy who puts EVERYTHING on the gram scale to find the 3-4 setups that are the closest) 😵‍💫

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back