Caribou Gear Tarp

Vanish and FireTiger's 2019 Journal

That was a great trip, great pics and very well told stories. I really enjoy all the effort you put into sharing this with us. Thanks.

Last weekend we packed into a wilderness area we'd never been before. I carried the float tube just in case. The SO Peregrine 3500 was loaded to the gills (I had even more on it when we hit the trail). Many brookies were caught even though the weather kept us in the tent much of the time. Never even inflated the float tube. Pack carried very well with 45 pounds on it. I love the dual hipbelt straps.

FireTiger used the pack she bought that the thrift shop in Grand Junction (brand new Alps Caldera 4500). She has a ridiculously short torso, but it worked pretty well. Gregory said they'd send her a new DEVA since a broken frame is not normal wear and tear. We'll see.

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

The last time I needed a new bow string, I took it to Archery in the Wild and had a mixed experience. They did fine work but the kid (couldn't have been more than 16) I worked with was not cool. Kind of felt like since I wasn't a regular they didn't care.

At the beginning of June, I took my bow in to Sportsman's Warehouse in Thornton ( about 45min to an hour's drive ) for a new string. Now, I wanted to take it to the one in Loveland, but I happened to be travelling through the Thornton area and would be again 10 days later, so I figured it would work out. Well, neither bow tech was in when I stopped in, so a woman took my info and gave me a work slip.

Three days later a bow tech called me and asked what color strings I wanted.
The next day, while I am out of state for work, he calls back and says I need to stop in and pay for the strings. Ugh, can't do that. Won't let me pay by phone.
Next time I stop in, no bow tech. Nobody else knows how much the strings will cost. Sorry.
Another week goes by and my wife is running errands in Denver. She is able to pay for the strings.
July 12, he calls and says the bow is done. That's the day we're driving to Idaho.
July 23, I can finally stop in and pick it up.

As I go to put an arrow on the bow, I notice the drop away rest is UP. That's not right, it should be down when I draw. He reties it and it seems ok.

Tuesday I am at the range, and the very first shot I take, the drop away rest arm falls off and the spring pops out. This isn't good. I'm furious and about to go to another bow shop right then and there. I cool off on the walk back to the truck and figure out how to reassemble the rest. I do some shooting and things just don't quite feel right. Then my D loop pops off on drawing and I lose one of my brand new arrows as it launched into who knows where while I punch myself in the face. I was definitely done at this point.

Thursday I took my bow in to Archery in the Wild. This time the kid at the desk was very nice and helpful.

Here is the list of things that were done wrong:
1.) Cables entirely backwards and rubbing against each other.
2.) Drop away rest tied in to the wrong cable, actually should have been limb driven.
3.) Peep sight tied in backwards and extremely low. I should have caught this at the store, but the other issues impacted this.
4.) Loose cable guard
5.) Damaged string covered in serving material.

I instructed AitW to put on another new string. Sucks to waste the $$ but I just don't trust a dang thing that guy did.

I'm going to be way behind on my practice. :(

Last weekend we packed into a wilderness area we'd never been before. I carried the float tube just in case. The SO Peregrine 3500 was loaded to the gills (I had even more on it when we hit the trail). Many brookies were caught even though the weather kept us in the tent much of the time. Never even inflated the float tube. Pack carried very well with 45 pounds on it. I love the dual hipbelt straps.

FireTiger used the pack she bought that the thrift shop in Grand Junction (brand new Alps Caldera 4500). She has a ridiculously short torso, but it worked pretty well. Gregory said they'd send her a new DEVA since a broken frame is not normal wear and tear. We'll see.

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

[/QUOTE That pack looks like our loaded for Bear!Ha!Ha!

I noticed the cast iron skillet in the pic. Did you pack that in? You are more dedicated to tasty meals in the backcountry than me.

That whole bow string situation sounds super aggravating. Sorry you went through that.

Our friends are doing the Colorado trail and are about halfway through. We've been shipping their supply boxes, but the past weekend we agreed to meet another person and shuttle them so they could do a part of the trail, as well as deliver a couple supply boxes. Wow, traffic was absurd. I spent almost 7 hours driving Friday night what should have taken 5 hours.

We met our friends Saturday morning and made them a nice big breakfast. After that, we planned to drive a 4wd road to an alpine basin and check out a spot where we found big cutties last year. It was only about 10 minutes away, but as we pulled up the road, I noticed a small closed notice. Turns out an avalanche closed the road! Argh.

We wound up heading to Plan C but by the time we got there, the weather had moved in. We spent most of the day reading.

Sunday we hit two lakes we'd never been before. The first very popular but the fish were spawning ( still?! ). The second was off trail and looked great, but proved to be too shallow to maintain fish.

uc

uc

uc

Today was the first day for leftover/reissue tags. We picked up the turkey tags that we failed to apply for during the draw. Hooray!

We're still playing the reissue game for FireTiger's elk tags.

GOOD NEWS! - Got my bow back yesterday! All working properly now. Need to get to the range is dial everything back in.

BAD NEWS! - While I was in Idaho, my dad stepped on a knife someone left on a boat dock. Got cut up pretty bad and it got infected, too. He's going to be a last minute call for elk archery. He has been practicing shooting, though.

Additionally, on our last day in Idaho I fell flat on my face while packing out. Everything seemed in tact. No issues until 10 days later I started to get some pain in my left forearm. Now its all the way through my shoulder. Ironically, shooting my bow makes it feel better. Thinking I might have a pinched nerve rather than something broken, but it sucks. I'm going to have to see the doc. Depending on how that goes, its possible we actually rifle hunt elk this year. Dad didn't seem too keen on the idea but I think it would be prudent if we're not healthy.

Save wear and tear on both your bodies by rifle hunting,you have
years ahead of you for the tough stuff.Good Luck to both of you. :cool:

GOOD NEWS: Doctor says no broken bones. Almost certain its just soft tissue damage.

BAD NEWS: Ow. Ow. Pass the Ibuprofen please.

Stayed home last weekend to "rest" the shoulder. Made a pile of meals for the season.

Lasagna
Enchiladas
Breakfast burritos
Chili
Turkey soup
BBQ elk
Flautas
Jerky

Well, I had to work at the home office last week, and caught the airplane crud on the way. Was glued to the couch for three nights after that, so another weekend at home for us. It wasn't a total loss, though.

I was feeling well enough, both sickness and shoulder, to get to the range on Sunday. My shooting doesn't suck! I got my bow re-sighted 20-50. It did not bother my shoulder to shoot at all, though it wasn't a fan of carrying the bow around. I get quite a bit of drop with these new arrows, more than I was hoping for, so in one respect my new Hotwire sight feels less useful. I think its going to max at 60 yards. But the good news is that with that drop, being able to dial exactly from 35-60 (top two pins are set to 20/30, bottom is a floater) is nice. I don't want to shoot at animals at >60 yards but I've always felt the further out I can practice the better.

I also did a project I've been thinking about since last November. I foam insulation injected my climbing sticks and treestands to reduce noise. I also removed the seats in preparation of replacing them ( my main seat was delaminating). Next up will be some fresh bolts and paint.

But first, I'm going to Norway. :)

I squeezed in shooting again this morning with a buddy of mine. He took me to the place where he has a membership and it was pretty nice. I felt good at 20-40 but I was terrible at gapping mid-ranges over 40 ( ie 44 ). These new arrows have way more drop at that range than I would have guessed. Additionally, questioning where I marked as 50 yards.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back