Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Vanguard Wilderness or a DIY Howa Alpine

westernslope

I'm a big Howa fan, including the Weatherby Vanguard series of rifles. I have a mini action .223 (great rifle, needs a flush magazine or hinged floorplate before I can really recommend it, though) and a Vanguard S2 in .270 Win with the normal synthetic stock.

I really like both rifles, but the Vanguard I own is very heavy. The only replacement stocks that would lighten the rifle cost are pricey, and I'm wondering if the rifle would handle strange with an ultralight stock and the standard contour, non-fluted, 24 inch barrel. And chances are, it would be more cost effective to sell the rifle and just buy a lighter Howa or Vanguard.

The Vanguard Wilderness is appealing because it weighs 6.5 lbs with a drop box magazine and has a 24 inch barrel to get the most out of whatever you're shooting. Long action is an option. It also comes in a ready-to-go package.

The DIY alpine would consist in finding a lightweight Howa action (either separate or already on a rifle) either cerakoted or not, and buying one of the Howa Alpine stocks that comes up on ebay every now and then. I'm not sure what all would go into that in terms of fitting and bedding, so I'm a little intimidated. The advantage is a more compact package and (maybe?) a lighter package.

Any advice? Any firsthand experience with the Vanguard Wilderness or the similar Backcountry?

I'm thinking I may make m next rifle a Vanguard Wilderness. My 300WM is a Vanguard. Its very accurate, but my one complaint has always been that it's heavy.

Have gone down the build/DIY road, it is almost always more cost effective to buy a built rifle. If you like the Wilderness that might be your best bet. Alpine Rifles are still out there on Gunbroker, but the prices have gone up quite a bit since they were discontinued.

What about a Kimber Hunter? Cabela's has a few on sale. Too bad the Howa Alpine Rifle never took hold...I never did see one on the shelves and I spend a lot of time in gun stores.

Possibly a Tikka T3X Lite or Superlite?

Building a light rifle will cost you quite a bit more than buying a factory light rifle...though you may not get the exact combo you're looking for.

Had a buddy of mine buy a Vanguard Wilderness in 300 Wby this year. It is a lot of gun for the money. Fluted barrel and a Bell and Carlson stock. I'm a big fan of high comb monte carlo stock because they keep your eyes lined up with a scope better than a straight comb. I also like having the option of 26" barrels on the magnums and 24" on the standard caliber rifles.

Last edited:
For the price of a Backcountry I'd be giving the Barrett Fieldcraft a very hard look.

I had the same debacle a couple months ago. I have a Vanguard S2 in 7 mag and on years elk hunt it finally dawned on me that it was just too heavy to carry around. It goes over 9 pounds rigged for hunting. I looked at the Wilderness and it was sweet but I don't really like the Bell and Carlson stock. The grip is too wide and its slippery compared to the regular vanguard stock. I ended up buying a Tikka T3x superlite .30-06 from Sportsmans Warehouse that I'll use as my backcountry rifle. With scope and sling it is around 7 lbs. It's a nice gun, but definitely 'feels' a bit cheaper than the Weatherby. I haven't put a lot of ammo down range but accuracy thus far has been very good - about MOA. I may look into one of those Alpine mtn rifle stocks for my Howa 1500 7mm08 to shed a little weight but like OP said, I don't know if it needs further fitting to fit a standard short action Howa.
I say use your .270 as an antelope rifle and get another lightweight rifle for backcountry mule deer/elk. Keep us posted on what you decide, I'd like to hear about it!

I just purchased a Howa Kuiu .308 on clearance from Sportsman’s Warehouse. Same Cerakoted 20” barrel and action as the Alpine, but a bit heavier stock. It’s a Hogue stock but not the rubberized one. Rifle is 7 pounds without optics. They are running out of the Kuius but maybe you could still find one?

Back