vane length

elk_hunter

What are your thoughts on vane length for carbon arrows? Seems like the 2" stubbies are gaining in popularity over the 4" or 3". What are the pros/cons of shorter/longer vanes? Do you get more accuracy with the shorter ones? Details appreciated...

I noticed no difference in flight when I switched to the shorties. I did notice they seem to be a lot tougher though and you don't have a bunch of beat up vanes at summers end.

EH, seems the blazers, the short ones, stabilize the arrow a lot faster than the longer vanes. also, on my set up, seems to stabilize them out to further distances. but only talking about my set up. not sure if thats true for everyone else or not. been shooting the 2" blazers for a couple years and like them a lot more than the 3 or 4" vanes.

The real key is making sure that the shaft and broadhead are tuned to the bow. Once you've chosen the correct spine weight/broadhead weight for your set-up you can tune for perfect arrow flight with a bare shaft (no fletching). When the bare shaft is flying perfectly, very little fletching is needed. Poorly tuned bows need alot more fletching to stablize the arrow.

The one key difference is weight. Blazers 2" have less weight than the 4" vanes. Stabalization is supposed to be the same. If you need more stabalization and like a helical vane, stick with the 4" or you could try the quick spin by NAP. I've never used them, but heard good things. I shoot a right helical in a 4" vane and love it. But a tuned bow is obviously very important too. This season I'm thinking of fletching my arrows with the quick spin blazer 2" vanes. Anybody have any experience with them?

i shoot 1.5 in feathers i made for my carbon arrows make it where i can cheat and get as close to 300 grain arrow weight i was looking for to get as much speed and energy as possible. but im with gundog the real key is making sure spine and broadhead are tuned properly with you bow the vanes come into play with stabalizing the arrows. Layin it down i used to have some customers that shot the quick spin they are a little less durable for some reason and you go through vanes faster. But they shoot really good.

Do the quick spins slow your arrow down too? Maybe not enough to make a difference...... I would like to try them, but I wasn't sure if it was really a gimic. Lord knows we all like a new gimic. (New toys to try out)

According to the guys at the proshops here the blazer vane was designed to stabilize fixed broadhead arrows quicker and make little difference when using mechanicals. But as someone else stated the blazers holdup better mainly because they are a bit thicker than other vanes. The main purpose of vanes or feathers is to create enough drag to keep the arrow from tumbling and put a spin on the arrow which also increases stability just like rifling in a gun. Have you ever seen slow motion film of an arrow leaving a bow be it wood, aluminum, or carbon they flex in flight a short distance this is also critical to stability. I know that sounds crazy but its true. That's why you need to match the spine of an arrow to draw weight of the bow. Too much spine can over time damage the bow also.

dont slow it down any the naked eye can see but they arent as tough as blazers like i stated before

I've been shooting 4" quick spins since they first came out . I had no durability problem with them , but they did come out with the "st" version that is stiffer and more user friendly for the W.B. . I just got some of those in 3" and fletched some arrows today . I use fixed broad heads and would rather go smaller in steps . They also do what they say , spin that B.H. for field tip results . They didn't have me lower any pins ( slow it down ) either .

Last edited:
I've found that the shorter vanes aren't affected near as much with wind as the longer ones

I've been shooting both for years and don't see much other comparable difference

As stated above, the shorter ones seem to hang onto the arrow longer than the 4" vanes, especially if your going thru a piece of carpet or bails of hay once in awhile with them

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back