Arrow Length

RugerHawg413

Hello,
Thank you for all of the responses to my last thread about bow hunting and getting started. I wanted your advice it terms of arrow length. Should I have my arrows cut to be 1 to 2 longer then my max draw or should I leave them the longer length. I have seen pros and cons for both online. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks!

I get them cut as short as possible. Mine happen to be 1” longer than the end of my arrow rest so that my broadheads clear.

I think the best way is to think of what you want from your setup. Long arrows are free weight. My current arrows i had left full length. Had a 565 grain arrow for a couple years. As long as the spines ok, there is no drawback to taking the free weight if you want it. I since decided to come back to a more medium weight hunting arrow and chopped 4 inches off them and dropped from 150 gr head to 100 gr for a 475 gr arrow.

Easiest way if your not real worried about weight is set your draw length as long as possible, and rest where you'd like it, draw back and have your wife mark the arrow an inch in front of where it's being supported by the rest and then cut them there. Don't want to cut them too short and find out you want to adjust your DL a half inch longer or something then have to buy new arrows.

Length of arrow has a dramatic effect of spine. If you leave it longer, you need less weight up front for stabilization. Shorter needs more. I try to not have the arrows short enough that I can slice my finger open if things get too crazy in an adrenalin filled moment.

I am in elevatorman's camp. For me it is all about penetration and arrow flight. I am perfectly ok sacrificing speed if I have to, but I prefer a heavier setup. It all depends on the performance that you would like out of your arrow.

I keep mine at least 1” longer than draw to prevent pulling too far. But I also shoot traditional too, not cams with a positive stop.

Hello,
Thank you for all of the responses to my last thread about bow hunting and getting started. I wanted your advice it terms of arrow length. Should I have my arrows cut to be 1 to 2 longer then my max draw or should I leave them the longer length. I have seen pros and cons for both online. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks!
I like cutting mine just at the riser. Leaves room for the broadhead if I want more weight I bump up my broadhead weight. I try to get the sweet spot on the FOC. But last time I had to weak of spine. Arrows were flying erratic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back