MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Vail resorts good or evil?:nimbyism in the inter mountain west.

continues to oversell Epic passes and buy up your wonderful little yokel ski hills.
Ah geez. I just looked at the epic pass out of curiosity and it looks like this behemoth company now owns even the very tiny little ant hill in Ohio that I grew up skiing in Carhartt coveralls.

I reckon that with the two or so places I’ve skied in the last decade being on USFS land that I’ve been oblivious to the fact that nearly every ski joint in the US has been gobbled up by one of a few larger companies. Guess it’s just like everything else. Le sigh.

Ah geez. I just looked at the epic pass out of curiosity and it looks like this behemoth company now owns even the very tiny little ant hill in Ohio that I grew up skiing in Carhartt coveralls.

I reckon that with the two or so places I’ve skied in the last decade being on USFS land that I’ve been oblivious to the fact that nearly every ski joint in the US has been gobbled up by one of a few larger companies. Guess it’s just like everything else. Le sigh.
And to think they lost A-Basin in a monopoly lawsuit. Feels like the antitrust folks in this country have been asleep at the wheel.

Vail doesn’t want you, they want to say they do to build this but then they are going to fill it with their J-1 Visa staff that they pay almost nothing, bait and switch my friend. We’ve seen their play book over and over again.

The J-1 program is certainly sweet for the employers as they are not paying unemployment, social sec, or medicare on the J-1 labor which saves them almost 8% versus a normal employee...

They bought the shitty little, but wonderful, hill in Wisconsin that us FIBs used to raise hell on. And I have no idea why. I hate vail resorts so much.

The J-1 program is certainly sweet for the employers as they are not paying unemployment, social sec, or medicare on the J-1 labor which saves them almost 8% versus a normal employee...
Not just Vail; many industries which do much better than ski resorts prefer J-1s over US citizens even though they are egregiously profitable, and could easily bear the cost. Greed personified.

I say screw them all. Vail resorts and the ski bums. Build nothing and let the local economy shrink.

I have no sympathy for people who flock to places they can’t afford to live and then whine that they can’t afford to live there. I also have no sympathy for large companies trying to wrangle every cent they can from people.

All other issues aside (and boy, is that setting aside a lot of issues...) employee housing provided by resorts often doesn't even fall within the definition of affordable housing that real affordable housing organizations use, it is not typically designated as rent-controlled or deed-restricted in perpetuity, usually, there is a sunset on the use as employee or affordable housing and at that point the units can be sold or rented at market rate, it's a way to get developers to subsidize the construction with the promise of huge long term ROI...

No idea if this is the case with this particular proposed development, nor does it really matter in this case, but would it tilt the perspectives of the people for this one if you eradicate the sheep and in 20 years when everyone has forgotten the restrictions sunset and the units get sold to millionaires so they can spend their week a year poorly skiing?

I get where @DouglasR is coming from, I have a lot of friends who are on the resort town struggle and it sucks when you can't even live in a town with multiple roommates as an adult... My wife actually quit her career and started a local housing trust to attempt to get ahead of the issue in our area as the local governments were not doing anything, it regularly blows me away how much her organization is doing, but just as much it blows me away that the municipalities where there is no housing for employees are not doing anything to even try to address the issue... or if they are doing anything it looks like the proposed solution in Vail, eradicate something you may not be able to get back for a very short term gain for mostly the corporation.

No idea if this is the case with this particular proposed development, nor does it really matter in this case, but would it tilt the perspectives of the people for this one if you eradicate the sheep and in 20 years when everyone has forgotten the restrictions sunset and the units get sold to millionaires so they can spend their week a year poorly skiing?
I think this is the crux of it, Vail Resorts has always been about the realestate.

One can’t really even make the affordable housing argument here like @DouglasR is making because they have been offered other locations.

Vail just doing Vail.

Does CO have a minimum amount of acres you have to own to build? In my county you have to have at least 3 acres in a rural area to build on unless it’s already zoned Residential. But some counties have much more.
Each county is different. Routt County’s minimum outside of an approved development is 35 acres.

employee housing provided by resorts often doesn't even fall within the definition of affordable housing that real affordable housing organizations use
Let’s be realistic. Employees aren’t working there to make a living. They are doing it for the ski pass. The solution is for people to find a real job and forgo “finding themselves” through time on the slopes in their 20’s. Vail will pay a real wage when they need to and not before. But the sheep get to stay.

Let’s be realistic. Employees aren’t working there to make a living. They are doing it for the ski pass. The solution is for people to find a real job and forgo “finding themselves” through time on the slopes in their 20’s. Vail will pay a real wage when they need to and not before. But the sheep get to stay.
the “housing crisis” in these resort towns seems like a bunch of whining to me. If you don’t like the wages you should quit working for peanuts and go somewhere else and make a real living like the rest of us poor bastards. Life is full of tough decisions, most people don’t get to have fun for a living.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back