Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Va swan

I have killed two down here in NC. They are a ton of fun to hunt, and a few trash bags is all you need if you find a spot they like! I didn't try to draw this year, but have intentions to shoot one with my bow one of these years. This was the view from a ditch the first year I hunted them. Good luck and keep us posted!
swans.jpg

Thought since the northern mallards and snow geese were here swans would be too. But 65 degrees yet they are not really here we seen 12 yesterday no chances of shooting. Ill wait til there is some ice!!

They usually don't start showing up down here till around thanksgiving. I'll probably start going after them after Christmas unless I run across one sooner. I plan on going over to the Chesapeake Bay area couple time to try for them and I have a blind that I may get a shot at some there

What size shot you guys using? I'm thinking of trying dead coyote in T or some other kids do of hevimetal shot. What do you guys use?

The two I have killed have been with regular steel BB or BBB I think. T would definitely do the trick but if you lead them right and get the head and neck it doesn't take much.

Swan are by far my most treasured waterfowl hunts. The beauty and majesty of the bird followed by the biggest splash when they drop from the sky...I didn't draw mine in MT this year or last year, so next year better be my year. I got too used to getting one every year.

Swan are by far my most treasured waterfowl hunts. The beauty and majesty of the bird followed by the biggest splash when they drop from the sky...I didn't draw mine in MT this year or last year, so next year better be my year. I got too used to getting one every year.

I am not sure how the out of state people go about getting a tag for ND but I have never been turned down for a swan permit. But I am a resident, they normally have extra tags after the first draw.

I can get an OTC for eastern MT too. If I go that far, I'll def look into getting one for ND. If I do, make sure you have your phone turned on...

I am sure I can get you on one here. The slough I normally go to they are not there yet later in the year there will be over 100 on it And there are other places around there that hold good numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back