Caribou Gear

Utv tires

ccc23454

Got a pioneer 1000 that has about 6k miles on it and its getting close to needing new tires. The bighorns 2.0s on it traction wise are great but they are not durable enough for me. Every tire has multiple plugs in it and it seems to almost be cracking at base of lugs, maybe rubber degrading? My ideal tire runs lots of dirt roads but must be able to handle deeper snow well and sharp rocks at times, thinking 8 ply... Any recommendations or tires to stay away from

I bought Duro brand 6 ply Radials from this company :

Fast service and delivery, great grip, aggressive tall tread, Good in snow once I got the air pressure down where it belongs. I'm new to ATV riding but they performed really well. My buddy in UT has them on his ATV and they have lasted a long time, a lot of miles and he rides a lot of not-so-easy trails.

9D96CB4D-FF8E-4A4A-B669-91EBF63BB158.jpegJust put a set of bfgoodrich on my xp. Have about 275 miles on them after having to plug a 3” gash in my bighorns. Good for hard pack and rocks but doubt they’d do very good in snow.

I run Chicane RX STI’s on my 1000-5. Upsized to 30x10r14 which required me to put angled A-arms on the front to eliminate fender rub. They are an awesome all-around tire, but I wouldn’t consider them a great deep snow tire. For deep snow, I swap out the wheels/tires for Camso tracks.

im running original 6 ply bighorns on my quad and am pleased with them,,the bighorn 2.0 is a much lighter version of the original,,the original is heavyer and more durable,,but could be slower for racing type stuff.

im running original 6 ply bighorns on my quad and am pleased with them,,the bighorn 2.0 is a much lighter version of the original,,the original is heavyer and more durable,,but could be slower for racing type stuff.
My pioneer is about 1500lbs so sure that matters but how old are your tires? Mine just seemed to start getting weak about year 2-2.5, every hole is almost like a crack along tread lug base, like dirtydan mentioned i got one long cut that has bunch of plugs and half a tube of rubber cement holding it together...lol. when new they were amazing and tough but seem to be degrading rapidly so just see if yours do same. My sxs is garage keep and never beat on, its a small hunting truck that gets tons of miles onbackroads and trails never extreme stress other than maybe deep snow and breaking up drifts which doesnt hurt tires. I would love to go AT route like those bfgoodrich tires but know they would be no bueno in snow.

I run Sedona Rip-Saws on one of my SXS’s and they are very aggressive. Great on everything but sand.42961620-3FE5-4DA2-84DC-CFE05E453B0F.jpeg472E9860-5FA8-4E65-B344-DED5B1990337.jpeg

Last edited:
i have yet to get a flat with regular 6 ply radial bighorns,,3000 off road miles,several years of hunting 6+ and they are about 40% now,,,maybe its because they are on a quad,,lighter than a side by side.

I have the Bighorn originals on my RZR and fully recommend them. I put green slime in them and have run them hard when hunting, going on 11 years now. Cactus, mud, rock, and no flats. I would get them again.

I've had good luck with the Dirt Commander tires on Polaris Rangers. Long lasting with daily use June thru November. I don't recall any flats with these tires.
1593394550150.png

Bighorns on my MRZR and my Maverick. Only ever got one flat (a cactus at home). Great for rocks without issue. Used it in mud and plenty of sand. Never snow though...

Greenball Kanati Mongrel ATV Tire

Greenball Kanati Mongrel ATV Tire, 27x9R12

Greenball Kanati Mongrel ATV Tire

Greenball Kanati Mongrel ATV Tire, 27x9R12

Have run these on my Wolverine for a couple of years now. I’ve had a few punctures BUT I don’t use roads or tracks generally And they’ve been in areas with trees known to us as iron wood. Have been great on hard pack to sand. I run about 5 psi all round and nice and comfy in the paddock. I believe they are “road legal” in some states in the US.

322CE257-8A4F-4CEC-936D-4B0920DB8C47.jpeg

UTV tires are incredibly expensive. I had six flats this year on Duro tires, which are not cheap tires-two of which were ruined. I have switched to cheap tires and so far have been as good as the expensive ones. It is real easy to get a lot of money wrapped up in tires, just because they look good. I spray thistle around controlled burn areas, where there are lots of burned sticks etc. It is pretty hard to avoid flats in this kind of environment.

If someone wants truly fine tires, check out Essex Manufacturing in Texas. They market a kevlar-reinforced tire. I had them on my old Mule and they were awesome. I have not bitten the bullet yet on my Mule Pro, however.

My 2019 X2 Yamaha Wolverine (white) has Interco Sniper 920's in 28x14-10 all around on 14" beadlock rims. The tires are DOT rated. It's a great tire and tracks very well, it doesn't slide around on the trail at all.

IMG_7014.jpeg

I haven't made the purchase yet but I’m looking hard at the Tusk Terrabite radial tire with Tusk Teton Beadlock wheels for my Pioneer 1000

I haven't made the purchase yet but I’m looking hard at the Tusk Terrabite radial tire with Tusk Teton Beadlock wheels for my Pioneer 1000

I considered those also. But I wanted something a little more aggressive for off road. I've also heard they don't perform great if you encounter mud/snow and I do see a fair amount of both.

And I would recommend the Sniper's over the Rips-Saws too.

Last edited:
The best tires money can buy are Sedona Ripsaw. I bought them from a recmmendation after puncturing holes in mine due to sharp rock edges. They are monster tires. But they are very heavy. I run my quads on very sharp rocks/shale and nasty mountain crap. I only use them for hunting. They have huge lugs with no spots for sharp rocks to penetrate. I would not run them on a quad unless its over 500cc. They are heavy but indestructible.

Back