Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Utah Spike or Any Bull?

I would like your opinion.

In Utah, there are both general and limited entry tags for elk. The limited entry tags can take multiple years to draw, and I am in the process of gathering points. So while I am trying to get points, I will be hunting general elk hunts (starting next season, I already had other hunts lined up for the current year) in an effort to develop as an elk hunter, as well as having an excuse to chase elk. The general tags are divided up into spike only and any bull units, and have weapon specific tags within the units. The spike-only tags are on the same units as the limited-entry hunts. So for example, I can choose to hunt muzzleloader any bull in November, or archery spike in August and early September etc.

With that background, my question is: Would you recommend I hunt spike on the unit I eventually want to draw my limited entry permit on and really get to know the unit I want to eventually hunt on, or would it be more beneficial to hunt a different any bull unit, with the same weapon I eventually want to hunt my limited entry hunt with in order to get a better idea about mature bulls behavior?

Any thoughts?

You best bet is to hunt the LE unit With an archery tag. That allows you to harvest a cow or a spike on a le unit.
This is what most of us do if we don't draw a le tag. You will learn a lot about the elk and also have better odds of harvesting an animal.
I could also be biased since I love cow elk meat.

Thanks Hoopermat. That's one of the options I have been considering. The option is also there to get a control tag on some of the any bull units, where I could shoot a cow as well. I have hunted archery spike before, but became disenchanted when I saw far more hunters than I did elk. I need to just try again.

Last edited:
I hunt general units for archery, will allow me to shoot any elk I come across. I don't plan to stay in Utah when I retire in 2018 so I am just hunting. If I was focused on one unit, I would then choose said weapon, and buy the applicable tag and hunt the unit until you know it inside and out. If after a few years and no LE tag you can always branch out to second choice units and hunt new ground.

This year I walked over 50 miles on the North Slope and didn't see/hear anything. Talking no fresh scat, tracks, no fur, no hide, natta. Apparently the cattle rancher that leases the area drove his herd through opening weekend..... Time to hunt the Wasatch Front.... ugggg

I hunt general units for archery, will allow me to shoot any elk I come across. I don't plan to stay in Utah when I retire in 2018 so I am just hunting. If I was focused on one unit, I would then choose said weapon, and buy the applicable tag and hunt the unit until you know it inside and out. If after a few years and no LE tag you can always branch out to second choice units and hunt new ground.

This year I walked over 50 miles on the North Slope and didn't see/hear anything. Talking no fresh scat, tracks, no fur, no hide, natta. Apparently the cattle rancher that leases the area drove his herd through opening weekend..... Time to hunt the Wasatch Front.... ugggg

Thanks for the input! That's a lot of country to cover to not see any sign. Hopefully you can find something along the wasatch front

How many years until you have a realistic chance of your LE tag? What weapon do you plan on hunting with?
Likely you'll have plenty of time to do both your perspective LE and general units several times over before you draw the LE tag.
Also there are no elk on the north slope so I wouldn't worry about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back