Utah LE deer

JKB

Any opinions on what the best hunt for my dad that's 60. He is in good shape and wants to hunt with rifle or muzzleloader. I've checked the odds and he can draw anything but Henry's and Alton CWMU. We are residents, but do to the fact that it takes so many years to draw a LE tag in utah I haven't stepped foot on any of the LE units in years. Just looking for anybody's past experiences in the last few years in utah. I've been thinking Paunsagunt but don't know. He would like to hunt this year because he is retired now and will have time to scout.

Thanks

if he has no points built up youll need to pick something easy to draw,,pausngut takes a miricle to draw w max points for the most part.

Sorry, I'll clarify he has 16 points. Doing the numbers he can draw anything but the Henry's or Alton CWMU. Still 10 years or more from those tags and he would like to hunt this year.

Elk Ridge or Paunsaugunt are the only decent areas left. Not a fan of the Book Cliffs except for elk or season 3 Colorado. Go with Elk Ridge. My dad killed a nice buck there in 2010. 26" wide. Scored better than my 33" NV buck.

Very cool. You and your dad should have a blast.

So many great places to get a shot at a mature buck. Paunsagunt Would be great. SW desert produces some great deer. Plenty of options all across the state. Throw a dart at a map and have a blast.

I would go for the one in November, I forget the name. The deer will be easier to access and the rut will be on. I will try an look it up tonight, I believe it was a pretty great hunt.

I agree with Ibirch, Paunsaugunt if he must draw now. Otherwise, it has been 16 years, what is a couple more for the Henry's?

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Had a long talk with my dad and looked at hunt dates and draw odds. Henry's point creep is just ridiculous and he would be 72 before the guaranteed tags even made it into his point group. He isn't willing to take a chance on health or that the Henry's will be the tag to have in 12 years. He wants a hunt the family can come down and enjoy being in camp, so the November hunts are out. Anyways he has pretty much decided on the Paunsagunt. Just gotta decide muzzleloader or rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back