PEAX Equipment

Utah general-season bull elk question

Skynard

Thought I could get in on an OTC Idaho elk or deer tag....thought wrong, haha. They are all gone as you know. I'm looking into other options and came across the Utah general season bull elk permits. Specifically, the any bull units and hunters choice units. I'm new to elk hunting and know nothing about Utah. Would it be worth trying to buy one of these tags? What's the deal with these? Are they in low density elk units? Better than Colorado 2nd draw/OTC?

Figured I would see if some more seasoned elk hunters would know about these tags. I literally know nothing about elk hunting or elk tags. Thanks! IMAGE 7-2-20 AT 07.56.jpeg

Thought I could get in on an OTC Idaho elk or deer tag....thought wrong, haha. They are all gone as you know. I'm looking into other options and came across the Utah general season bull elk permits. Specifically, the any bull units and hunters choice units. I'm new to elk hunting and know nothing about Utah. Would it be worth trying to buy one of these tags? What's the deal with these? Are they in low density elk units? Better than Colorado 2nd draw/OTC?

Figured I would see if some more seasoned elk hunters would know about these tags. I literally know nothing about elk hunting or elk tags. Thanks! View attachment 145501
Some of the any bull units (Henry Mtns, others) have very few elk and some are going to be a very tough hunt without access to private land (East of Monticello). The any bull units in the Uintahs are alright.

Like Pelican said, I would emphasize the "alright" about the Uintas. Carve out plenty of time and put your game face on...

I'm planning on hunting the North Slope any bull general rifle. Got online the morning the OTC went on sale and got a tag. Two of my kids just got their hunter safety certificate and Utah is offering unlimited resident youth any bull tags so that seemed to be the only option for my kids to hunt big game this fall. I don't know the area at all. I hope to camp for a few days before school starts to do some fishing and scouting. Sounds like the Elk move pretty fast to Wyoming or no-mans land once the hunt starts and they get pressured and it might take a few years to learn how to get into the elk. I'm sure it will take some time to learn; should be fun. Hope you got a tag.

Utah manages elk by age of harvest. If I remember correctly:
any bull units 4.5-5.5 years; quantity hunts

limited entry are 6.5-7.5 and 7.5-8.5 years depending on the unit; quality hunts. Spike units are same as LE.

Figured I would see if some more seasoned elk hunters would know about these tags. I literally know nothing about elk hunting or elk tags. Thanks! View attachment 145501

People harvest bulls each year, I’ve seen, but yet to experience for myself; 3 years trying. Each year I’ve gotten into elk and closer. Finding where they are is tough and takes time

My suggestion is that you’re gonna need to get away from trailheads, atv/SxS trails, and private or res lands as they do go there to either get food or away from pressure. Yea, I’ve seen some private landowners put out food for elk to lure them off public lands.

I'm planning on hunting the North Slope any bull general rifle. Got online the morning the OTC went on sale and got a tag. Two of my kids just got their hunter safety certificate and Utah is offering unlimited resident youth any bull tags so that seemed to be the only option for my kids to hunt big game this fall. I don't know the area at all. I hope to camp for a few days before school starts to do some fishing and scouting. Sounds like the Elk move pretty fast to Wyoming or no-mans land once the hunt starts and they get pressured and it might take a few years to learn how to get into the elk. I'm sure it will take some time to learn; should be fun. Hope you got a tag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back