Utah elk hunt north and south slope info

Deerslayers

Hello hunters, I am planning a hunt this year for Utah, 1st week of Oct. Looking at the south slope or north slope , maybe Red Cloud loop or Moon lake area. Can anyone advise me how busy these areas are with other hunters? I've only hunted the backcountry of Montana where we saw maybe 6 other hunters at the trail heads. Really excited to hunt Utah and hope to find remote places. We will be backpacking in from the truck and setting spike camps. I don't mind going in really deep if we need to. Any advise is appreciated. I'm in Ohio and can give advise on whitetail if anyone is coming out this way for deer. Best regards- Rick

south slope/red cloud loop is pretty heavy,,ive had them moving in while I was there on my muzzy deer season still,,looks like it really packs in,,good luck

Copy that , thanks for the info. The more I look into it, it seems to be a popular place. Anyone familiar with moon lake? Seems to be less road access.

I've hunted near red cloud loop my entire life and it gets packed. I could think of a few places you could backpack into around there but I'd say there's probably better opportunity for backpacking by moon lake. Also, the herd on the Yellowstone sub unit where Moon lake is, is much larger than the one by red cloud loop.

Hello Deerslayers that's is amazing that you are going to Utah, i am following this thread beacause i will be going to Utah next year. and ill like yo get as much info as possible. i wass looking to hunt Monroe Peak, so if you if you see good elk and are willing to share your experience i will realy appreciate it. also i am looking to bring an ATV so if you have any insigh for that it'll be awesome.
Good luck!

Moon lake area definitely holds Elk. It's tough getting up in there but worth the trip. Always best of course if it's uphill going in so it will be downhill coming out with an Elk. I hunted the south slope last year. Saw a lot of hunters but you won't see a lot if you go in a mile or better. Sure lots of road hunters though on the south slope. There are also some horseback hunters too. The elk will see a lot of pressure near the FS roads so if you can figure out where the Elk go when they get pressured and set up an ambush you stand a good chance of taking meat home. Also realize that much of the South Slope including the Moon lake area is part of a antlerless control area. That means once you buy your "Any Bull" Any weapon tag you can also purchase a anterless Elk control tag pretty cheap (I think under 100 dollars last year). Then you can take a Cow, a bull or both. I'm pretty sure (any bull) includes spike bull. Utah's Non resident Elk tags are the cheapest too of any state that I'm aware of. Cost of the any bull tag is 393 for the Elk permit plus $65 for a Hunting License for a total of $458. Add a Antlerless Elk control tag and you are still under 600 dollars.

Thought I would add that the "any bull' tag is OTC (or online) and is limited to 15000 first come, first served and go on sale July 16th. I feel that if you want a bull elk your odds may be best on the north slope, especially for a large bull, but if you don't mind taking any elk then the South slope is a good choice.

Deerslayers,

I'm originally from Ohio too for what it's worth, Licking county area, but live in NC now.

Just one week now till the Utah "Any Bull" tags go on sale. 15000 OTC tags, 1st come, 1st served.

i just heard they sold 12000 of the 15000 available tags the 1st 4 days so if you plan on a Utah hunt Any bull hunt if the tags aren't already sold out they very soon will be.

ive heard that a lot of elk blow out of the south slope public and go down the hill past the mining area on private toward vernal pretty quickly.

I've heard the same thing. Many where I hunt say they go onto the Reservation. I can't verify that but it's certainly possible. I still see elk in there though after the first weekend so I'm pretty sure not all Elk leave quickly. I wonder if some of the migration is gradual and some of the higher elevation North slope Elk move through the south slope as well in their way to lower elevations?

Last edited:
I just checked this AM after someone left me a message yesterday evening that there were only 151 Utah General season "Any Bull" tags left. Now there are none. They have sold out already!

La,
Yes they will sell as many archery tags as people will buy.
I've never seen the total number sold. Be interesting to know.

I got mine. Anyone looking to partner up? I’m coming out solo from Missouri and I’ve hunted the same area a couple years now

I got mine. Anyone looking to partner up? I’m coming out solo from Missouri and I’ve hunted the same area a couple years now

I would except I already have at least one partner and maybe more. Good luck to ya though. I just got word from a friend out west that Utah had snow yesterday above 10,000 Ft. So maybe will move some down a little lower.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back