Using a license with a previous address to purchase a firearm

R3B3

Before I made a stink at the store, I figured I should look into this.

I went to purchase a rifle today. For the back ground check, I had my valid driver's license, but it doesn't have my current address. I also had my hunting/fishing license with my current address.
My understanding was that the hunting license can be used for the current address as it is a government issued document.
I was told by the employees at the store that because my driver's license didn't have my current address, it couldn't be used as a photo ID.

https://www.atf.gov/file/83651/download
This document says that a driver's license is fine as long as there is another government document with the correct address, but that certain states (Montana?) may choose to invalidate the driver's license if the address is not current.

Has anyone run into this?
Any FFL dealers that can provide insight?
I did change my address with the DOJ/DMV.

I had that happen in Colorado when I moved a few years back. Found out the next day that my county has a awesome dmv with no waiting

I've had it happen both ways. Purchased a firearm w/ an license w/wrong address & a bank statement (IIRC) and been turned away for the same thing. I think it depends on who you get and how much they know. At any rate, it's easy to get your license changed in MT.

In NYS, I used my drivers license with an old address. I had the new address printed on the back of it on a piece of white tape. I just checked it, its still there. I have successfully purchased multiple rifles and handguns since I moved in August, 2013! And, this is in SAFE Act New York; home of "never a gun restriction I didn't like" Chuck Schumer and Kristin Gillabrand (turncoat, former Republican, now a Demoncrat).....

Last edited:
Went to the DMV several years ago to change my address to my current address. They handed me a printed pink piece of paper to write in my new address and a piece of tape to attach it to my drivers license. Haven't tried to buy a gun with it since then. Hope it works when I want to. This was Montana.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back