Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

using a drum as a bear feeder

TheHuntHC

I am looking for some suggestions or answers. Has anyone used plastic drums as a bear feeder?

How do you connect the barrel to the tree? I have heard that you cut holes in the barrel to chain it to a tree.

Do you stand the barrel up against the tree? You would create to small holes at the top and at the bottom of the barrel so that the chains would run through the holes near the top of the barrel and then around the tree. Then also through the small holes in the bottom of the barrel so that it is fairly snug to the tree.

Or do you just cut a set of holes in the barrel to connect a chain and then 6 feet of chain to the tree? Let the bear roll it around and fight to get the food out of it.

I have read that you also cut a hole large enough for the bear to put his paw to scoop out the food to eat it. You attach the lid on the barrel. This keeps the other animals our of the food… How big of a hole do I need to put in the barrel?

What are your thoughts?

I would not use plastic, they will tear it apart. Use a 55 gallon metal drum instead. Cut a hole nig enough for them to get a paw inside, drill holes on each side on the back side of the drum and chain it to a tree so they can't drag it off. You want a drum with the metal strap around the top so you can fill it each day or you can fill it through the cut hole but that will take a little longer to fill. We always laid the barrel down and wedged it between a tree with the chains.

How big should that hole be for them to get a paw inside?

6 inch in diameter?
8 inch in diameter?

What about the location of the the hole in the barrel?

At the end or at the bottom?

We laid the barrel out so one end was chained to a tree and the other had the hole in it, I would make the hole about 10" x 6", if you make it too big they will pull all the food out in no time. Here's what we use to do to bring in the bears, tie rags to tree branches around your bait site and spray it with either anise oil or vanilla, lay down a grease pad right in front of the bait barrel so when they come in to feed they will get grease on their feet, when they leave they will leave a trail whereever they go and it will attract other bears. Check the regs and make sure it is legal but it should be as we did it every year and it worked like a charm. You can dig a shallow hole in front of the bait barrel and then lay down a tarp or cloth in the hole, cover it back up with the dirt then lay down your greas pad. This way you don't have to dig down and bring out all the contaminated dirt along with your barrel and such after the season is over. Just pull up the tarp/cloth with the contaminated dirt and take it out. For food we always used the cheapest dog food we could find and fill the barrel with it, pour maple syrup over it and stir it around real good, they love this stuff. Hopefully this isn't to confusing.

we are using burlap bags straped to a tree right now as test baits. Then we use a 40 gallon drum with a hole about 6inches by 4 or 5 inchs tall. Cut it about 10 inches from the top of the drum. Then we use 2 big rachet straps and strap it about 21/2 to 3 feet off of the ground. This way smaller bears can't get into it. Plus you can use the bottom of the drum to judge the bears size. Ditto with the grease patch. The key thing is to make it difficult for the bears to get the food or they will eat you out of house and home. I will post pictures when i get the bait all setup. Goodluck

Back