MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Used Optics

Scratches on lens, clarity, dents or dings on the tube. Look at the manufacturers that have a life time warranty - that should protect you as well.

I have bought and sold plenty of optics online. I always use paypal with good&services if purchasing from an individual, the extra 3% is less then the sales tax anyway. No problems with any demo optics from dealers and they usually look brand new unless otherwise stated. I haven't been burned yet but I also try to feel out a seller with questions or if any doubt ask to speak with them. I have had guys want to talk with me about high dollar items that I am selling and if the seller doesn't want to speak with you, thats a red flag in my book.
As Homer said items with lifetime warranty are always a plus.

I really haven't purchased any used optics off of an individual yet.
Just haven't found the optic i want, or when one does come by i never seem to have the extra money at that point in time.

I have bought a couple of demo models and been quite happy with those.

I've had some very good experiences with buying some used Alpha glass at prices that I was actually able to justify. No negative experiences.

Just use common sense. One transaction was very smooth with an established forum member, another was with a new forum member that seemed a little off, but I was able to make a deal work where the transaction could be done in person so the goods could be inspected before money changed hands.

I have purchased five scopes off another websites free classified. I look at the sellers post count and I have been pleased with every one I bought. I have bought mostly used scopes with lifetime warranties. Actually all except one all where Leupolds.

Personally I would only buy used optics if they were from Vortex or another no-fault company.

If you do plenty of research and are patient, you may be able to buy new glass for less than what you would pay for used glass.

Anybody care to share any experience with buying used optics? Not sure what risks to look for, if any.
Before I'd buy used contact schmalts he may get you something new in the price range you're looking to spend. If you still looking at used look at warranty and read reviews. If at all possible go to a sporting goods store and compare.

It would also depend on the "Why" of the seller. Why is it being being replaced and sold? Every rifle owned and used has a used scope on it. It will last for years whether it is replaced or not. Unless it is being replaced due to damage or poor performance. For the most part with quality scopes, you don't have as much to worry about with an added protection from a warranty. Just being inconvenienced to save a a little money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back