Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Used 25-06 help

Love my 25-06 but it just doesn't get used much anymore. It's a Rem 700ADL, super accurate! If I were looking for one with a wood stock today it would be an ADL, one of the Savages or a Mossberg. The hard part is finding one with a wood stock in your price range! as good of luck as I've had from My Mossberg Patriot's I might go for a new wood stocked one, like mine very ell!

In all seriousness (sort of) I honestly know jack shit about older rifles. I have no idea what was/is good/decent, what to look for in terms of fatal flaws in used rifles, what to consider when buying used online... if anyone wants to throw some ideas or recommendations at me I'd appreciate it.

In all seriousness (sort of) I honestly know jack shit about older rifles. I have no idea what was/is good/decent, what to look for in terms of fatal flaws in used rifles, what to consider when buying used online... if anyone wants to throw some ideas or recommendations at me I'd appreciate it.

Brockel’s gun consultancy, HTllc.

Start here!

neffa, didn’t you buy your .270 used, and it didn’t shoot for shit without upgrading the stock? I’d consider saving my money for something new or buy something with known accuracy results—unless you enjoy the tinkering process that goes into making a gun shoot.

neffa, didn’t you buy your .270 used, and it didn’t shoot for shit without upgrading the stock? I’d consider saving my money for something new or buy something with known accuracy results—unless you enjoy the tinkering process that goes into making a gun shoot.
Yes, Neffa just stop donating to your wife’s cat agency and put that toward a new rifle. You’re welcome.

GD, you guys are killing me...

So the background on this. I went through the safe this last weekend and pulled out my grandfathers interarms .300 win mag. It's a great shooting gun that he packed every elk season. I've tried to shoot it a few times and while on a bench I can shoot it pretty good, I am just too much of a weeny to make a habit of shooting it. I actually elk hunted with it after he had to hang up hunting due to dementia and missed my only legal bull (a nice 6 point) I ever saw during the 13 years I rifle hunted western WA. I flinched so hard I didn't even graze him at 40 yards. The reason I was floating the idea of a 25-06 is that you can pick up an old mauser or interarms from about the same era that looks about the same and might offer a bit of nostalgia but would actually be something I'd enjoy shooting instead of getting kicked in the shoulder.

Mostly I shoot 115's out of mine, either the Berger VLD, or more often the Nosler Ballistic Tip. Load 'em to about 3150 fps via Retumbo. I was actually at 3190 fps with the Berger VLD. Excellent accuracy with each bullet.

And results on game were stellar. Mule deer, pronghorn and coyotes all fell to my rifle. It's worked out great!

Regards, Guy

GD, you guys are killing me...

So the background on this. I went through the safe this last weekend and pulled out my grandfathers interarms .300 win mag. It's a great shooting gun that he packed every elk season. I've tried to shoot it a few times and while on a bench I can shoot it pretty good, I am just too much of a weeny to make a habit of shooting it. I actually elk hunted with it after he had to hang up hunting due to dementia and missed my only legal bull (a nice 6 point) I ever saw during the 13 years I rifle hunted western WA. I flinched so hard I didn't even graze him at 40 yards. The reason I was floating the idea of a 25-06 is that you can pick up an old mauser or interarms from about the same era that looks about the same and might offer a bit of nostalgia but would actually be something I'd enjoy shooting instead of getting kicked in the shoulder.

Brake your 270 maybe...

I don't know about where you are, but if your planning on it to hunt elk, you may wanna check with your local game laws.
PA requires a 27 caliber as minimum for elk.

As for longer range, the 270 would do better than the 25-06, from a weight & BC standpoint.

There is gyroscopic stabillity, then there is dynamic stability.
More people are finding that a heavy bullet with a slower twist is actually doing better at long range.

I don't know about where you are, but if your planning on it to hunt elk, you may wanna check with your local game laws.
PA requires a 27 caliber as minimum for elk.

As for longer range, the 270 would do better than the 25-06, from a weight & BC standpoint.

There is gyroscopic stabillity, then there is dynamic stability.
More people are finding that a heavy bullet with a slower twist is actually doing better at long range.
Interesting. And no this would only be for antelope and deer, and shot definitely under 400. I'm not capable of making much over that.

I was in Dicks sporting goods last night and they had a wood stock ADL Rem 700 25/06 for $499. I almost bought it, good thing my wife was with me. The gunsafe only has room for one more and that spot is for her to get a semi custom.

They make more gunsafes!!!

1. I have had wonderful success w an Interarms Mark X I grabbed from a pawn shop for a couple C notes. It weighs 8# w factory wood stock. Mine is 7rm, I think any '06 class cartridge would be the same weight. Nice mauser 98 commercial action. Mine got a Timney trigger, the factory one can be tuned as well.
2. Maybe add some weigh t(laminated wood?) and high end recoil pad to the stock of your 270, try reduced recoil loads. Lighter mono bullets as noted above.
3. Pay no attention to the man-bun under the flat brimmed cap. Try a 6.5 cm.

Interesting. And no this would only be for antelope and deer, and shot definitely under 400. I'm not capable of making much over that.

.25-06 is legal for elk in WA and all the western states you would be likely to draw a tag in...

I have the BDL in a .243 and 25-06 from the mid 80's and early 90's both drive nails. When you find one you will not be disappointed. The funny thing is I keep hearing how the 25-06 is on the way out thanks to the 6.5 craze. I also have a 6.5 cm in a Tikka T3X but i still love my 25 and cannot see parting with it. The .243 I could see replacing but only when I get another new rifle bug. Weatherby vanguard makes several as well as Howa (same gun). Good Luck

Back