Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

US Debt Limit

Kicking the can down the road...drama in July.
The government is unlikely to hit the drop-dead date for raising the debt limit until late July, Goldman Sachs said Wednesday.

A late-breaking surge in tax collections around the April 18 filing deadline is giving economists at the investment bank increased confidence that lawmakers won’t have to act until shortly before their August recess.

Term limits. 2 terms for president, 2 terms for senate, 3 terms for the house, and the supreme court justices are out after 15 years of service.

Take away revolving cash cow that is the re-election fund.
I like it but if you manage to term out in all three you still have almost career politicians!

You know, term limits sound good, and I get the arguments for same, but I think Ben Lamb mentioned something about the loss of institutional memory when Montana did that.

So, takes the new guys and gals a while to learn the ropes; meanwhile the lobbyists and bureaucrats have a field day taking advantage of the noobs.

I like it but if you manage to term out in all three you still have almost career politicians!
I would not have a problem with that. If a person wants to go from school board, to city council, to mayor, to state senate, to governor, to congress, to president, to scj....more power to them.

But being elected once and having about a 98% chance of being re-elected to congress for the rest of your life hasn't really been working out. If term limits for president to limit power are a good thing I don't see why limiting the power of individuals in congress would be bad.

You know, term limits sound good, and I get the arguments for same, but I think Ben Lamb mentioned something about the loss of institutional memory when Montana did that.

So, takes the new guys and gals a while to learn the ropes; meanwhile the lobbyists and bureaucrats have a field day taking advantage of the noobs.
Maybe a bunch of noobs in congress who know they won't be there forever would change the laws so the corp lobbyist don't have all the power to control every aspect of American life.

Maybe a bunch of noobs in congress who know they won't be there forever would change the laws so the corp lobbyist don't have all the power to control every aspect of American life.
One would hope so. Interestingly enough, the one who is really speaking out against the big corp-big gov complex is RFK Jr. Vivek to an extent too, and obv RDS.

Add to that the people will have to find a job in private industry after they term out. Best way to do that is to grease the right wheels while in office. Positives and negatives that both carry weight. Not sure if you could split the baby and have Reps term out at 3 but Senators not. Seems like some Reps try for a promotion to the Senate. Maybe it gets rid of the extremes, or at least lessens them?

To that people been fighting since the beginning of time, don't see that changing. As long as that's happening there's gonna be scumbag politicians using that to play the population like a pawn and line there pockets. Term limits probably won't change much they'll special interests will just find a new front man more frequently. It's unfortunate because if we could set aside the tribalism we could all have something without politicians. Until you change that term limits or any other policies won't change a thing. What you see is what you get, best get used to it.

Just something about playing political chicken with the full faith and credit of the US Government just seems like a bad idea to me. On both sides.
Looks like on one side the Freedom Caucus will never compromise and on the other side the progressive Democrats are alarmed by some of Biden's recent comments and are pushing for Biden to use the 14th amendment to the Constitution. Biden's advisers fear such a move would trigger a legal battle, undermine global faith in U.S. creditworthiness and damage the economy, so that is off the table.

Back