Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

UPOM suing FWP over elk regulations

I 161 passed by less than eight points. Banning Outfitting would likely fail miserably.
I don’t think it would I think it would pass. People like me that don’t think it’s a good idea would vote for it with the current state of affairs.

Maybe so, but that was before this big push. There's around 150000 Resident hunters now.
Never no unless you try.
I don't know if something like that would pass but in my opinion, the animosity towards nonresidents and outfitters has only grown since I-161 passed.

Actions of UPOM, MOGA, and FWP have likely accelerated that over the last 12 months.

I propose that if the AG rolls on this, that we (Citizens of Montana) start an Initiative to ban Outfitting in Montana. Zero payment allowed to harvest game at all. Zero trespass fees allowed to access for hunting. You can't receive money for the harvest of a big game animal.
I think we could pitch it as getting money out of hunting. After all that is the corruption. I would say all the influencers and insta-famous hunters and their biz models also banned in Montana. No money from hunting in our state.

I think we could pitch it as getting money out of hunting. After all that is the corruption. I would say all the influencers and insta-famous hunters and their biz models also banned in Montana. No money from hunting in our state.
Spot on. The exploitation isn’t coming from one side.
UPOM and outfitters are over playing their hand right now that is going to come back to bite them when the pendulum swings and it will at some point.

Honestly how would we ever differentiate "accessible" and "inaccessible" elk? Without real time data, it is a constantly changing data set. Whats the definition of accessible? If the elk walks across a single section of state land once in the season is it an accessible elk? Is it only accessible when it is physically on accessible land?
I mean I get it, but how would we ever go about doing it?
They actually do this in unit 270, so it's been done. Its a shame they haven't done this in the central and eastern units. These units are being totally mismanaged and each year more elk are being conditioned to never leave private because "opportunity" for armed hikes is what the fwp is all about.

That would include the BMA program? If so there would be tons of people against that

that means the very owner of this web sight would no longer be allowed to make anymore videos on hunting. after all he makes money making shows
and 99.9% of those on this web sight are influenced by newberg and his show
if want the money out of hunting by influencers then he has to be included he makes money doing hunting shows. fair is fair
be careful what you ask for

Reactions: DFS
Too many acronyms. Whatever happened to the written word actually being written as it is spoken?

that means the very owner of this web sight would no longer be allowed to make anymore videos on hunting. after all he makes money making shows
if want the money out of hunting by influencers then he has to be included he makes money doing hunting shows. fair is fair
No. I’m 100% good with that. No disrespect but I don’t watch Randy’s show. If we are going to get the profit out of hunting ie outfitters, trespass fees, etc. than let’s f’n do it! Time for Montana to step up. Hell even Utah is starting to pass a few laws that are making Montana look bad. If Montana can’t keep up with a bunch of flat brimmers than I don’t know what we do.

I think FWP should take this lawsuit at face value and start reducing the elk in these units by helicopter gunning elk exclusively on the properties of UPOM members that are outfitted. Scorched earth, not one elk left alive and the carcasses left where they die. Coyotes have to eat too.

That would be a great starting point.

Last edited:
I think FWP should take this lawsuit at face value and start reducing the elk in these units by helicopter gunning elk park exclusively on the properties of UPOM members that are outfitted. Scorched earth, not one elk left alive and the carcasses left where they die. Coyotes have to eat too.

Agreed they want the elk gone make them gone. All of them.

Randy has had more of a negative impact on eastern Montana than any outfitter around here. Fair is fair, the money needs to be taken out of hunting. Obviously both sides won’t play nice and someone needs to have wildlife in mind which is currently not happening from anyone.

I think FWP should take this lawsuit at face value and start reducing the elk in these units by helicopter gunning elk park exclusively on the properties of UPOM members that are outfitted. Scorched earth, not one elk left alive and the carcasses left where they die. Coyotes have to eat too.

Or how about give the landowners cow tags for may-June that they have to fill on their own property. Make them deal with the backlash for shooting super pregnant or just gave birth cows and see how much public sympathy they get

Maybe so, but that was before this big push. There's around 150000 Resident hunters now.
Never no unless you try.
I think that an out right ban on an industry or making trespass fees illegal is a big step form getting rid of outfitter tags. Of course with the shenanigans UPOM has been involved with this past year, they absolutely deserve a ban, so maybe it would pass. I just wonder how may sportsman voters are even paying attention and how many resident sportsmen are currently partaking in pay to play. The numbers would probably be surprising.

Last edited:
Back