Upgrade Pack or Just Fix?

Stagg412

After a successful elk hunt last fall I was packing the elk out and snapped two buckles on the shoulders of my second-hand Kuiu Icon 3200. I guarantee this was user error because it's an older model that I had to fish the straps through the top of the frame to set up the load shelf and I never could find a good vid or manual on how to do everything just right. This was my first western hunt and first pack, which didn't help my novice use of the pack. I tried contacting Kuiu customer service for new buckles and advice, but never heard back from them.

Anyhow, do you all think it's worth me selling this pack as is for like $100 to someone who can fix it and use it (it packed beautifully for the entire trip and the 3 miles loaded, and I had no other issues) and upgrade to a new pack that is more user-friendly (I'm looking primarily and Mystery Ranch and Exo) like I probably should have done in the first place, or should I try to find replacement buckles and just fix it? How hard or easy would that be if I can get a hold of some replacements, and is it even worth it? Would there be any interest our there in a pack that needed some minor work but is in otherwise great shape? Thanks as always for any advice!

I've attached some pics of the buckles below:

Attachments

• KuiuBucklePic2.jpg
    KuiuBucklePic2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 26
  • KuiuBucklePic1.jpg
    KuiuBucklePic1.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 26
User error or not if you like the pack fix it. Get in touch with Kuiu and you should be able to order the parts needed for a small fee if they don't just send them to you.

As stated before, try Kuiu again. A couple minor customer questions/help I've had in the past were resolved with no complaints.

I'd bet it's an easy fix...but if your like me, the idea of a shiny new pack is hard to resist. If you do hang a $100 I bet it'd sell quick. which frame system is it on?

Thanks for the responses and advice. Kuiu was way more responsive over the phone than email. Turns out those buckles are sewn onto the shoulder harness and not replaceable, but I can get a new Apex harness. It's definitely a much cheaper investment to keep a perfectly usable pack, but not nearly as fun as shopping for something new.

I definitely need to figure out how to properly use this system, though, so I don't do the same thing again. If anyone has any manuals or can explain how to properly use the load shelf on the frame pictured below, I'd really appreciate it. The pack also came with two additional nylon straps about 10" long with buckles that I couldn't figure out what to do with or find any info about on Kuiu's site or YouTube. They might be the key to all of this. Like I said, I'm an eastern guy who is just getting into western hunting, so frame packs are pretty new territory for me, esp older models like this one.

Attachments

• KuiuFrame2.jpg
    KuiuFrame2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • KuiuFrame.jpg
    KuiuFrame.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
This might help maybe.
Thanks for the link, Scott85. I've watched that one a bunch of times. Maybe I'll just have to watch closer when he starts cinching the straps down to see if there was anything I did wrong when I packed it. I had practiced with sandbags before the trip and it was find, but never with as much as I ended up carrying out on my hunt. Something I did on the mountain was too much for those buckles. I don't even know what those buckles on the shoulder harness even do. The joys of buying second-hand, I guess.

Thanks for the link, Scott85. I've watched that one a bunch of times. Maybe I'll just have to watch closer when he starts cinching the straps down to see if there was anything I did wrong when I packed it. I had practiced with sandbags before the trip and it was find, but never with as much as I ended up carrying out on my hunt. Something I did on the mountain was too much for those buckles. I don't even know what those buckles on the shoulder harness even do. The joys of buying second-hand, I guess.
They adjust how the load stabilizer angle hits the top of your shoulder. They should not be breaking, incorrectly adjusted or not. Even when adjusted correctly those will take some substantial force under a big load as you crawl over things and maneuver around, etc. and shift weight as you move.

From the looks of your pics it looks like something is wrong with how you have connected the shoulder strap/load lifter strap to the bag. Also where are the bridge straps? It almost looks like you have them attached to the shoulder straps and then the bag. Those need to be installed on the frame and used when in load sling mode.
PM sent

Last edited:
From the looks of your pics it looks like something is wrong with how you have connected the shoulder strap/load lifter strap to the bag. Also where are the bridge straps? It almost looks like you have them attached to the shoulder straps and then the bag. Those need to be installed on the frame and used when in load sling mode.
PM sent

You called it with the bridge straps. PM replied.

Thanks again for all the insight with this, everyone. With the advice I got here I'm going to salvage this pack for $60 and some time re-learning how to set this thing up.I know the harness buckles shouldn't have broken either way, but I think it's a minimal cost to give the bag another go. Besides, now this is more $ I can put towards a tent!

Back