Update on my hunt

idahoshoer

My trip to the “BOB”,
Awesome country, if anyone did not know I am a former horseshoer from Salmon Idaho who has packed into the Frank Church many times along with guiding for elk, mt. Lion and bear in Nevada & California . I’ve done this stuff many times. I’m now 50 years old and did not feel confident doing it alone like I did in my younger days. Last March when it came time to put up the $660.00 for tags everyone pussed out except “Mike”, he had no experience with horses but was a good guy and had hunted deer in Nevada a lot and a trip like this was his dream. So here it was, 6 horses myself and a novice (I’ll call him “the dude”) First day we had trouble, we had packed our manties at home all 75-100 pounds, but with only 2 of us we would tie on 1 side and because he was so damn slow by the time we got on the other side the saddle was slipping, it was 80-90 degrees so I said lets go in light, no wall tent, no wood stove, ect, “if it gets cold we’ll come back and get it”.
OK, we’re loaded (3rd day) I have him ride around the trailhead with the stock everything is good, I swing on my horse comes unglued bucks me off, as I hit the ground I see him going back in the air, he comes back to earth with a hoof to my head, picture if you will a hoof mark from behind my ear across my ear lobe down my jaw line to a bruise across my throat. And the other foot grazing my ribs. It hurt but looked much worse than it was.
Now we’re past that, we’re loaded, mounted heading up the trail 12 miles to go, we come across guys coming out with 2, 300+bulls, see another 320 bull (but we are not in our unit yet) life is good. Mike is leading, so I can watch the string. Mike is mad cause the horse does not speak English or have a “easy” button, I rebuke Mike, tell him his attitude is transferring to the horses and making them nervous. Then a pack slips under a horses belly. Before I can get there he starts bucking, he bucks himself of the trail and down the side of the mountain. Looked bad but he came to a stop and I unloaded him and he was ok, no injuries at all. Mike is a mess, tears like a little girl, “ I saw you almost die, then this horse almost dies. I don’t want to be next”. My god what a puss. He says “take me home, I can’t do this”. What could I do? I’m sore, I can’t do this alone, I have no other choice but to end the hunt. I’m home now, another year wasted, I’ll go back next year with a new pardner, and try again. Looking back, it was so hot if we had killed anything it would have spoiled before we got it out. Awesome country, not too many people, no sign of Griz, I will go back without a “dude”, I just need to find a good pard.

Sorry your hunt was such a bust.
I'd have to say that GENERALLY these types of hunts don't turn into epic successes.
I have had some similar experiences in the past. You just have to keep kissing toads.
Good luck in the future, I hope you can find Mr.Trailboss.

Shoer, That is terrible! A lot of dreams turn to nightmares when reality of what a hunt can actually be like can un-nerve some folks. Hope next time you have a better outcome. John

wow that really sucks---I'm sitting here thinkin that you were on your way to a great hunt with all that had gone wrong and then the "dude" had to go home and change his diapers---chris

That is a real bummer. I wouldn't be too hard on someone who has hardly been around horses though. Sounds like you had a rash of bad luck and even an experienced horseman isn't liking life with 2 major accidents like you had. I've hunted with horses my whole life and had a close call with death 2 years ago. Horse spooked and backed off a steep switchback, luckily I'd just gotten off to lead him. I would have been killed for sure. I had one drag me through the trees with my foot caught in the sturrup but luckily stopped after 15 yards. I haven't been the same since the last accident though. I still ride and hunt with them but my mind is wondering what's next. It's the chance you take using horses and I still love to hunt with them. I don't think calling him a puss is right. He saw you get the crap kicked out of you and watched another one take a tumble.

Hopefully next year you can complete your hunt with better luck. Your right about making your horse nervous if you are. They can totally sense your emotions. BTW I grew up in Salmon and love that country. Good Luck with rest of your season.

Bad deal, sorry to hear about the bust.

I'm not a horse guy. Reading your story makes me glad I can rely on my own two legs and a good pack. I've been on hunts with horses and mules and llamas. My preferred was llama, 2nd choice mules, last horses. Darned things are so spooky!

Bummer of a hunt. Glad to hear that everybody is ok though. Stuff happens out there sometimes so we always have to be careful. I had a damn boulder that I have used in past years as rest in a drainage suddenly give way and take off with my rifle,pack,rangefinder and binos! Luckily I rolled off to one side and no injuries to me or any equipment other than a muzzle full of dirt. Sure got my attention though.:eek:

Last edited:
I've only been involved with a couple of "rodeos" and they aren't fun, but part of the deal when using horses. Good luck next time and let me know when to be where to tag along!! :D Finding a good hunting pard, IMO, is nearly as tough as finding a good wife...

I'm with Moosie...I'd sure love to see a photo of the hoof print in the side of your face. I hope it heals up fine. It also sounds like the horses where having some mental problems. I've found if you relax the reins and give em their head they usually do just fine. They do get a bit wild if they get a smell of bear tho.

Also, Lawnboy has a good point about getting off and leading them. That is not a bad idea in those tight spots. Even if you do everything right the horse still can do something that can turn really bad.

The bad news you already know, the good news, is that maybe all your bad luck is out of the way. I've had hunts that just never had anything working for it. You should have a long spell of good luck to look forward too.

The best way to hunt with horses is to have somebody dumb enough to spend time tending the horses and not wanting to hunt much.

That being said, tough luck for the hunt, but, you might spend the off-season working with the string a bit more and learning how to properly secure a pack saddle......:rolleyes:

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back