Caribou Gear Tarp

Upcoming Trip to Maine

Rzrbck918

HTers,
My wife and I are preparing for a trip to Maine next week and wondered if anyone has any cant miss stops centered around sights, food, or booze.
Thanks in advance

What part of the state are you visiting. It is an 8-hour drive tip to tip?

Wife and I did that trip 5-6 years ago.

Lobster Roll at Reds Eats in Wicassett was fantastic...little roadside food truck basically

LL Bean headquarters and outlet was worth a stop

I remember we liked the town of Blue Hill, seems like Damariscotta was cool too

Acadia was cool, but to be honest just exploring the less-crowded coastline and towns between Portland and Acadia was our favorite

……smart Alec comment…..

If you stop at Cabot Cove, you might get to see Jessica Fletcher

Take more photos than you would normally take. And do a little notebook of daily events on your trip. I find it amazing how much I forget about an adventure a couple of years later, only to have my memory refreshed glancing at the “diary”.

Acadia is great. We took the horses there a couple years ago. Great equine trails ! Also lots of bicycle routes and hiking trails. Took our young Lab on some fun hikes.

Holy Donut, squid ink pasta at Pacciarino, ferry to Long Island (or any of the Casco Bay islands), Sicilian slab from Slab or Micucci's, innumerable great breweries and coffee roasters for Portland stuff.

Otherwise, any random town on the mid-coast (Stonington?), and try to make it to an island - Mohegan, Isle au Haut, etc. If you're intrepid and like kayaking, rent a tandem sea kayak to pick mussels off the shore and camp on an island that's part of the Maine Island Trail Association system.

In the park, Cadillac Mountain at sunrise and Thunder Hole are pretty neat. If you want to eat lobster in an interesting setting, go to Thurston’s Lobster Pound on the southwest end of Mt. Desert Island. We watched a loaded logging truck come in by boat while having lunch there.

I will echo what others have suggested and recommend that you stop at Kittery Trading Post and L.L. Bean if you have the time.

Becky's Diner and J's Oysters in Old Portland. Becky's has a lobster omelet that is full of lobster, alot of locals go to both. Did the trip in the fall, it was fantastic. On your way north to Arcadia stop in Owls Nest.

Lots of good advice already. KTP and Bean's are worth a stop and seafood is really good in many spots. DeLorme Maps/Mapping used to be in Freeport near LLB and that was worth a stop. They had a massive globe at the entrance that was pretty cool and had any state atlas and gazzetteer you were looking for.

Explore as you go and take the local roads to uncover the spots in between the big destinations. If you are into birds, the coast has a number of species not seen in many places (puffins, riders, etc.) which you could see if you take a ferry ride or a boat tour. So I recommend packing binos.

Lots of good advice already. KTP and Bean's are worth a stop and seafood is really good in many spots. DeLorme Maps/Mapping used to be in Freeport near LLB and that was worth a stop. They had a massive globe at the entrance that was pretty cool and had any state atlas and gazzetteer you were looking for.

Explore as you go and take the local roads to uncover the spots in between the big destinations. If you are into birds, the coast has a number of species not seen in many places (puffins, riders, etc.) which you could see if you take a ferry ride or a boat tour. So I recommend packing binos.
Good idea I hadn’t thought about binos.

Mt desert isle is a great place. Sunrise on cadilac Mt is a must. Bar harbor has a ton of great restaurants. Also, some of the cruises aren't bad. Even though it's for kids, their is one that you're on a lobster boat and they show you how the lobster fishermen work plus show you seals, osprey etc. Baxter state park is nice but like mentioned is terrible for bugs. It's very rustic by design and the trees will prevent good views until the leaves start to turn. If I were going there and you're in shape, hike Mt katahdin.

HTers,
My wife and I are preparing for a trip to Maine next week and wondered if anyone has any cant miss stops centered around sights, food, or booze.
Thanks in advance

My family has a house on MDS. Can't beat Acadia National park. Lots of great food and scenery in that area

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back