Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Unit 67 CO

FrontierElk

First time hunting 67 in Co, and I’m not for sure where to start. I’ve scouted the unit and can’t decide to go high or low for 2nd season elk. Is the west side sawtooth better? Will they be in dark timber more than lower in the aspens? Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to the forum. Stick around and get to know some guys and they will maybe throw some info your way. Never been in the unit. Goodluck. Just put some miles on, im sure you will find elk.

I've hunted GMU 67 about 10 times and have harvested 6 bulls there. Last year's bull and my bull from 2016 have both scored well over 300, so there are good elk in there for sure. The key is get away from other hunters. Go higher up and away from roads and camps. I prefer to stalk and hike in the mornings for the first few hours of light. I haven't had a lot of mid-day success, but I have been with a buddy when he shot a raghorn in the timber mid-day. In the afternoons, I usually like to find a good spot to wait for them to come down. My group and I have had success up high, down low, in the mornings, and in the afternoons.

I'm headed there for 3rd season. I heard from others that 1st season wasn't very good. Probably had a good deal to do with the full moon, but I think things are looking better for 2nd. It was a very wet summer there, and there was a lot of water available up high, so be prepared to hike if needed. Here are a couple pictures of my bull from last year.

Attachments

• IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 37

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear