Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Unit 55 CO

Thomas11

So I picked up a leftover tag for this unit archery on Tuesday. I was going to a OTC unit anyway and figured this may be a bit better. I've been studying the unit since. I've narrowed down a few places that I like based on GE, CDOW Huntin atlas, etc. It's a big unit, plenty of steep country, lots of public and plenty of hunters too. So I would like to get anyone's thoughts that have had past experiences with this hunt? any advice much appreciated! I have some questions about a few specific areas to anyone that's been there. Thanks! Fill free to PM as well

I hunted 54 a couple of years ago. 55 bumps in to 54 on the east side. I know you are hunting 54 and I will PM you some additional info that may be helpful to you.

The roads in 54 were packed with tourists especially the road that goes down by the West Elk WA that eventually comes out in Gunnison. Along that road is a lot of private land. I arrived Sept 10th and the elk were already on private land. There were a lot of them out in the fields in the afternoons on private bugling their heads off and chasing cows. They would bugle all night. The forest? Quiet as a mouse. It seemed that just 10 days of archery pushed a lot of elk on private. Frustrating.

Muzzleloader season also opened (for mulies I think) a week later. I heard a lot of shots and kept seeing orange dots out across the range. I had no idea. LOL :W:

Anyway, I did find some elk but not much luck at getting shots. Never heard a bugle on public land.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back