UNIT 42 Idaho

Extremebowhntr

Howdy, my dad drew the late season deer hunt in unit 42. Does anyone have any starting points to start scouting? I usually hunt up north and have no experience that far south. Being this is a pretty limited draw tag I'm hoping you guys can hook me up with some decent spots! My dad gets around decently and we have horses but hes some what limited as far as hiking in anywhere. Hes getting a bit older and I want to set him up with a good buck. Im going to spend most of my time scouting for elk in other units and Im worried the bucks will be in a different location if i scout now.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! What kind of a buck would your Dad be happy with?
OwyheeHuntr- My dad lives in Marsing so he should be able to get down and scout quite a bit! Were not really into antlers and just look to bring home meat but... Needless to say a big set of antlers is always fun to brag about when your sitting around drinking beer eating the deer you shot!

There are a few forum members here that know 42 well- they may chime in. Good deer can be found in many parts of the unit although like anywhere they are few and far between. Weather can play a huge role in access and where the deer are found. I was out that way Saturday, vegetation looks really green for this time of year, and with the rain we are getting again today I am hoping it could be a good year for antler growth.

Duck-Slayer is right. I hunt that unit frequently and drew the late deer tag a few years back. Its a great unit. I pulled out a 175-180" opening morning and was disappointed. There are high quality bucks in there. Do the work and scout as much as possible. Come November, glass and find the does, youll find the bucks. If your dad is in marsing, he lives in a good area. Can be scouting in 2.5 hours or less depending on the roads. If you want a few areas, PM me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back