Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Unit 42 camping

Ksbowhunter

It feels like I’ve read about every antelope post here just trying to soak up information.
A buddy and I are heading up to unit 42 for the antelope opener. We are thinking about just camping to make this trip even more budget friendly. If anyone has any tips or good camping locations we would really appreciate it. We have a Cabelas Alaknak that we are confident can handle most weather.
Also, we will be there 5 days with 2 tags. Assuming we tag out early does anyone have any recommendations on other stuff to do? Fishing, etc...
Thanks in advance. Really enjoy this site and the wealth of information for guys like me

I’ll assume you’re talking WY - I know, went out on a limb on that assumption . . . BLM camping is free. There was a thread about a month ago that touched on camping in unit 42. There are also several threads on stuff to do in WY after tagging out. Personally, I’d scout for next years hunt. Good luck.

Not sure which part you're hunting but Fetterman Rd and Mule Cr Rd go into BLM lands that you can camp on. No camping on state lands.
Lots of good fishing down near Laramie and maybe the North Laramie River. Wheatland Res. #3 has good fishing as well. Sybille Creek also has good fishing on the public spots along Highway 34.
You could take a drive over to Snowy range and do some grouse hunting. Perhaps duck season may be open when you come out.
Saturdays will be game days in Laramie, if you like college football and the small town atmosphere going with game days come into town. Looks like UNLV is in town for Sept. 28 game. Everything will be busy and packed before and after the game, if you need anything in town do it during the game.
Stake that tent down well, we could have any weather by end of Sept.
We now have at least 4 small breweries in town, try them out but drink carefully at this altitude.

It's not a bad drive up from the Snowies. Added benefit of listening to bugling elk at night.

There isn't much in the way of Good spots to camp in WY42. You can't camp on alot of the WMA's or State land. The spot I would look at is the first BLM section you hit going East on Fetterman road 3.5 to 4 miles off the main highway. It at least has a little terrain you can tuck into.
You're in for a treat hunting Opening day. I did that Once about 10 years ago... Haven't done it since. We will be up there sometime in October after everyone goes home. My wife a daughter have buck and doe tags.

There isn't much in the way of Good spots to camp in WY42. You can't camp on alot of the WMA's or State land. The spot I would look at is the first BLM section you hit going East on Fetterman road 3.5 to 4 miles off the main highway. It at least has a little terrain you can tuck into.
You're in for a treat hunting Opening day. I did that Once about 10 years ago... Haven't done it since. We will be up there sometime in October after everyone goes home. My wife a daughter have buck and doe tags.
Yup - we did opener last year in Lusk (unit 9). We are waiting until week 2 this time and would have gone even later but for scheduling demands on the home front.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. I’ll look into each recommendation.
I have to say after reading the last couple of comments regarding opening day, I’m second guessing the timing a bit.

Last edited:
We hunted there a couple years ago but we drove back to Laramie since we were on a honeymoon. Wish we would have had a camper or tent and caamped at Wheatlan Resevoir #3. There was a restroom if i remember correctly. You will have company but you can fish, camp, and watch antelope all from one spot.

I would recommend not coming opening week but that is your decision. 2 weeks later gets you cooler weather and less folks, they will be chasing elk and deer.
Wheatland 3 has some great fishing but it may be huge this year, lots of water.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back