PEAX Equipment

Unit 393 goat hunt Montana

Buy American

I drew my once in a lifetime tag and have done a lot of research but would take advice from experienced goat hunters. I live a long way from 393 so advanced scouting is out.

I live a long way from 393 so advanced scouting is out.

No matter how far away you are this tag deserves the time and effort scouting entails. This is truly your once in a lifetime goat tag I'd make the time to get over and scout yourself rather than rely on second hand info. Goats are easy to find but can get in some nasty holes. I'm positive a short talk with the bio and a weekend spent hiking would be very productive. I guess my advice is to make the time to go scout, it'll be worth it.

If you can't ride the goat, then kill it with a pocket knife, in that unit... you're a PUSSY. :D

Camp by Fairly Lake in the highly popular campground, they will trip over your tent lines and lick at where you poured out your dish water all night. Seriously we had to chase them away over and over.

There are goats all over, and some quite tame ones.

If I had that tag I would get on the spine of that range and walk its full length over and over and over and over. It has perhaps the best potential for a "large" billy in the state so take your time and look at as many goats as you can. In that unit your not at risk of being locked out by snowy weather near as bad as most others.

Last edited:
I would buy a long range rifle and sniper one from the highway. If you are lucky he will roll all the way to the base of ski hill and you can just drive on up and load him up.

Thanks, for a few of the replies that were serious. I will be coming over 2000 miles and will be spending the last half of Oct. hunting Colorado. Is the hair on the billy's going to be good the first part of Oct. and will you be taking a chance with the weather if you wait till early Nov. As of now I'm thinking of hunting the fairy lake area.

Thanks, for a few of the replies that were serious. I will be coming over 2000 miles and will be spending the last half of Oct. hunting Colorado. Is the hair on the billy's going to be good the first part of Oct. and will you be taking a chance with the weather if you wait till early Nov. As of now I'm thinking of hunting the fairy lake area.

While people might be joking a bit, you literally can glass from a roof in Bozeman. I'm pretty sure (at least in the past) that your tag has been the hardest tag to draw in MT. Mostly because a deaf and blind 500 pound ATV hunter could still get a goat there.

I wouldn't shoot the first thing that walks up to you at Fairy Lake, hunt the whole district (it's not that big) and find a good one. There will probably be snow in November, but every Subaru driver and dog named 'Bridger' always manage to make it up there year round so no reason shouldn't be able to still get most places.

Wait until late November. Park at Brackett Creek, leave gun in truck. Hitch a ride to Flathead pass and spend 2 days getting back to your gun. If you learn how to look at goats, you'll have seen 90% of them in the unit, just grab your rifle and head back to the goat, feed it a handful of cheetos before shooting it. Big, huge, dumb goats, easy accessable country, yet each year, a couple tagholders shoot nannies there.

Back