Unit 23 & snow

25/06 Rem

I’m arriving in WY on Thursday and it looks like the weather is going to be nasty. We are flying into Cheyenne (was cheaper/sounded good at the time) and now have to drive to north of Casper. We get into Cheyenne around noon. Should be fun.
I’ve seen the question asked about effects of cold/snow on antelope behavior, but no direct answers. Are the roads going to be a bigger issue than finding game? I have access to private land in 23.
I have a bad feeling my thin TX skin and blood are going to be frozen solid at the end of the week!
Thanks for the input 25/06 Rem

Well it's going to be cold. Have a plan just in case that flight doesn't get to happen. If it dumps on us expect a road closure, I-25 and I-80.
Forecast high of 20 in Cheyenne on Thursday.
If the roads do close on Thursday don't panic, looks like that is the snow day and they will get them back open if wind cooperates. You'll probably take the I-25 route but you have options in case of weather issues.
Night time lows will be cold, things will freeze.
Cheyenne airport is very easy to use, rental cars are right there. The flight form DFW(?) is nice and the jets are not too small.
Antelope don't change habits much during cold weather that I've seen. Maybe they will feed longer and bed less or may bed a while and chew that cud longer.
With the cold you may well have the field to yourself, good luck !
It's nice you get to experience some typical Wyoming winter weather.

I shot mine opening morning while it was snowing pretty hard. I saw quite a few that day, despite the snow, heavy fog and sleet.

Curious if anyone has any first-hand experience re: snow road closures in Wyoming. It's looking like most places are calling for somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 inches--is that enough to close the interstates?

Curious if anyone has any first-hand experience re: snow road closures in Wyoming. It's looking like most places are calling for somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 inches--is that enough to close the interstates?
The wind can govern this somewhat, but I'm not expecting significant closures from this little storm.

Depends on the wind. If it blows and snows they may close.
This early with amounts forecast roads should be able to open next day or same day. Plows just need to get to it.
Trucks are the biggest reason they may close, driving too fast for conditions and causing accidents.
It's possible drifting could occur on certain stretches of Interstate or secondary highways.
If we get a closure it shouldn't last long unless more snow falls than expected. Roads could be dangerous though, take it slow and easy.

Guys -

Thanks for the information. I guess I’ll be careful on the roads and hope for the best. I planned for an extra day and now I’m glad I did.
Thanks again 25/06

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back