Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

unit 13b arizona mule deer info needed

We spent a couple of days hunting segmiller mtn. We found a spot where we could see two water sources and hunted one drinker. Jon thought deer were coming but it turned out to be cows. We did see four does there but no bucks were with them at all.

Attachments

• 177.JPG
    177.JPG
    918.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 100.JPG
    100.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Segmiller mtn. was promising and there were hunters and guides about. We especially liked an area behind a corral that seemed to be in the center of several water sources. We left there to go to St. George to get a truck, a guide stopped and asked what we were doing and were we ok? We told him mule deer hunting and yes, with a puzzled look on his face he said, "in a car?" Again I don't recommend it, but we made great memories and we were doing the best we could with what we had, it was awesome. Camping in a tent was ok because we had a buddy heater but i did get cold at night, between 20-30, we were well equipped and we kept well fed and hydrated.

Attachments

• 194.JPG
    194.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
We had a place in littlefield and stayed there overnight, rested and repacked. There is a nice new hotel just outside of the unit I reccomend that, from there you could be hunting on Seegmiller in an hour and a half.

We drove back in the unit thinking we were going to hunt black rock mtn. We spent a good amount of time scouting maple canyon and liked it a lot. We also made it to black rock and found promising areas. With a four wheel drive truck we had so much more ability to get to where we wanted. We used an avenza flatline map and it was very accurate with our phones gps. I had a handheld garmin but never turned it on. Jon remembered some specific info that he wanted to follow up on so we headed for Tweeds Points. We found the coolest campsite ever, it was a cowboy camp and had box springs hanging from the trees and a shelf stools and a fire pit. That evening we hunted where we had seen a lot of trucks in the morning. It was a good spot we came across a carcus they had cleaned in the morning. It was a good highway for deer.

Attachments

• IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0307.JPG
    IMG_0307.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
One thing that we learned from more than one guide,spotter,hunter is that getting in a good high spot and glassing early in the morning and late in the evenings is the method used for locating deer. That and up to fifty game cameras per outfitter. So we again started glassing at the place at tweeds that was recommend. We didn't see any but were encouraged by some spotters who had seen some does nearby and a small buck. Our time was limited and from the start we had decided that if a decent buck was within Jon's ability to make an ethical shot we would take it. They also told us a different spot to check out where we might see some deer during the day and fill his tag. There was good water in that spot I glassed up a pig but no deer.

So after a great night at cowboy camp we went back to tweeds an Jon glassed up six does, we hiked up a ridge to see where they were walking to and a whole new vista opened up. If we could have started here five days before I believe we probably would have scored. We actually started to think we could find mule deer. We had to pack up camp and decide where to hunt the evening, my last evening I needed to get back home, Jon could stay but every thing would change for him probably not for the better. I would give input, opinions and thoughts before every hunt but the final decision was Jons, it was his tag. I thought we should go towards black rock so we could be closer to Littlefield and not drive all night to get to the airport. Jon really wanted to stick with Tweeds. After we packed camp Jon said "we're going to black rock but I'm not happy about it".

Attachments

• IMG_0464.JPG
    IMG_0464.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
So to recap about a year ago I called my son Jon and told him to put in for a draw hunt because I heard that you could accumulate points for the future, so maybe one day we can go on some hunt out west. So he calls me and tells me that he won a tag to hunt Mule deer in unit 13b. Pretty soon we both realize what that means, previously I had never heard of 13b. The way I describe thing that happen to me like this is God showing off in my life. I am a very blessed man. This is not the first "dream come true" that I didn't know to dream but still happened.
To prepare for this hunt I started watching hunting shows, and I notice people thanking the animal. Even previously to that I had seen people like Sue on "Life below zero" thank the animal that they had just killed. I appreciate these people hunting and their reverence for taking a life but it struck me as curious.
I decided that if it happened that we were successful I wanted to thank God the creator. Ten lepers were healed by Jesus and only one turned to thank him.
I am not condemning anyone or judging others but I knew what I had to do. He is so good to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
So we are driving to Black Rock mtn. about to get into Maples Canyon and Jon says "if I see a deer in Maples Canyon I'm gonna shoot him". Less than ten seconds later as we are cresting Little Wolf pass we see a big deer off the road we stop the truck, get off the road, I lean over and Jon rest the gun on his old mans shoulder and drills this beautiful animal. The deer lays down under a shady tree fifty feet from the road. We are still thanking God. Not just for the deer but the whole trip.

Attachments

• IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    730.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    819.5 KB · Views: 55
Thanks again to backcountry_sassin he really gave us something to work with and while we were there he continued to help us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back