unit 10 AZ elk

$60 sounds like a good deal to me

I agree, I looked at the mytopop map and it looked like most of the unit except NW and SE part of it was checkerboard w/a couple smaller sections of private. But either way can't complain about a big operation like that charging only $60 access fee.

I'd be reading all the fine print with the rules and regulations in regards to access, but from a quick glance it looks like an excellent opportunity to increase huntable acreage in the unit.

$60 is a drop in the ocean if it means you can get onto the type of hunting you will be seeking in that unit. Look forward to seeing a hunt report.

Requiring a fee is definitely better than closing access altogether, and at less than half the cost of a resident elk tag, I believe the fee is very reasonable.

Some things I like:

-- Youth hunters and one mentor, and disabled vets are exempt from the fee.
-- No more than two guides per contracted hunter.
-- No aerial scouting.
-- No baiting, including salt.
-- No ATVs or UTVs

Some things they will prohibit I don't necessarily disagree with as hunting methods and strategies, but I think will help reduce hunter conflict in terms of claiming areas and animals:

-- No trail cameras.
-- No use of blinds or tree stands.
-- No hunting within 100 yards of a water source.

All in all, their rules seem reasonable to me. I wish some ranches that are currently closed would adopt a similar approach to hunter access.

this is the first year that the ranch is doing this. it will be interesting to see what conclusions they will draw from this.

I hunted that area many years ago before it was traded. It was almost all public land and the water was extremely marginal. The land was traded to the Indians, I believe, and became what it is today. It looks to me like they are taking far better care of the area than our government ever did. There were very few elk in the area when I hunted it for deer in the early 80's and now it is one of the best trophy elk areas in the country.

I applaud the approach that they are taking and I just hope that some fool doesn't screw it up for everybody.

One thing we don't need in AZ is pay to hunt land next thing will be hunting clubs that lease farmes and ranches then no one but club members can hunt them what BS don't pay it theres plenty of good hunting in unit 10. just do your homework

I've hunted Unit 10 for mulies. Pay the $60

You can find bulls all over. Just go to the ugliest and steepest areas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back