Unique Western Film - "Dead Man"

RobertD

DeadManPoster.jpg

Anyone seen it? It's a Jarmusch film, starring a young Johnny Depp.

I've been meaning to watch it for a while and did last night.

This isn't one to watch for a typical Western plot structure, though it does have a fairly linear plot that is more or less understandable throughout.

The real reason to watch this movie is for everything else really: Unique symbols and images of ideals of the Frontier and the West, interesting characters and some fantastic dialog.

If you're familiar with the poetry of William Blake, this one might be especially meaningful to you. It has also been praised for offering thorough and articulate portrayals of certain Native peoples, which I noticed and thought interesting.

Billy Bob Thornton has a small role that's just as memorable as his appearance in Tombstone.

Not one for the John Wayne crowd, but anyone into anti-Westerns, acid Westerns or Cormac McCarthy novels will probably find this one worth it.

If ya like this one, catch Nicholson and Brando in The Missouri Breaks (1976)...from McGuane's book. The story is much of Brando's dialogue and mannerisms were improvised...I've no doubt the weirdness was authentic.

Back