Unfair question to ask you seasoned folks, but here goes .............

Looks like you are figuring out that you can hunt elk and muleys OTC nearly every year. If I was in your shoes... I'd hunt CO for elk and mule deer. Put in for the one or two point draw areas and buy OTC tags on the years you don't draw. Develop a ten year plan for getting at least one premium hunt that you want to do once in your life. If it was me I'd start saving up for a guided mountain goat hunt in British Columbia and I'd be applying for an Idaho Shiras Moose tag. Forget bighorn sheep unless you REALLY want one and are willing to pay several hundred dollars per year to apply in a several states where you have less than 5% chance of drawing in your lifetime.

Mountain goats are one animal that having a guide help you with will be invaluable. Navigating goat country and packing one out is at least a 2 man minimum project IMO. I've tagged along on five goat hunts myself and would not have wanted to hunt solo on any of them for safety sake. Get on a reputable guide's cancellation list and start saving your pennies. You could try to draw a mountain goat tag in the lower 48, but with the cost of applications and license cost over 10-15 years you are looking at about the same money as going guided.

Back