Unethical??

Your a better man than i am, MR.brother inlaw would have spent the evening spitting out teeth for making such baseless accusation!

My thoughts? I'd do what you want to do for cleaning, and ask my buddy not to bring that idiot around any more.

Most of my guns will throw the first shot a half inch or so off after I have cleaned it. During the off season I clean every 15 shots or so at the range and always before I put it up. When I do the final sight in before season we will always shoot a few groups and clean them then send an "oil burner" down the pipe. During the season the outside gets cleaned after every hunt and I won't clean the barrell untill the shooting stops which is usually around 15-20 shots for my go to gun.

Never seen a clean gun throw the first shot enough to push a bullet out of the vitals on a big game animal. A praire dog maybe

Unethical... Ok guys, let me in on it.. what's the punch line? That joke flew right over me. heh!

Ya. Agree - what wingman1 said and top that off with NHY's comment and you are set! :)

I shoot a Remington 700 Sendero SF II in 300 ultra mag. It has a sweet Timney trigger and an awesome muzzle break installed by Match Grade Machine. It shoots better than any rifle I've owned.

My cleaning kit is always with me at the range. I like to keep the barrel clean. I clean it for powder fouling and copper fouling. Copper fouling will decrease a rifle's accuracy..

I have notice that my rifle is more accurate after the 6th shot after a good cleaning. The first shot may be off by as much as 2 inches at 100 yds. I suspect its because of the solvent or oil residue.

Unethical is a strong word and IMO it is unethical not to clean your rifle.

If you are sited in and cleaned the barrel I would shot one round through it just to foul the barrel a little and so you won't get a flyer before you go on a hunt. But what, this guy never cleans his guns ??????

your brother in law is a Douch Bag, I shoot a 1000 yard hunting rifle and I clean all my guns after a visit to the gun range, heck sometimes at the range. The trick is before a hunt I will shoot 4 to 6 shots through my gun. I don't want my gun dirty but also don't want is perfectly clean.

When I was a kid and my dad was teaching me how to shoot, it was targets to start, just sighting in. Then it was paper plates on sticks, randomly placed wherever.... "Just hit it where it matters" !

Same when it came to the Marines. "Just Hit where it matters"

Benchrest is one thing, Field shooting is a different game.

Clean the barrel and keep your weapon.

Yeah that guy is definitely a piece of work. I usually have my cleaning kit with me at the range, just happened to forget it at home this time. I also forgot to mention in the original post that i usually fire 1 or 2 rounds after my final sight in before i go on a hunt. I told the guy that and he said it wasn't good enough. I really wanted to knock his teeth in but for some reason i thought it would be better just to let it go and go home.

He was acting like the gun would be off by a mile. I know it would be off by little bit, mine has been off by an inch or less. I was just wondering if any of your rifles have been off by quite a bit or not

i'd get your brother-in-law a handicappped tag to hang from his rear view mirror :D

missed opportunity there......i would have bet him $1000 that after cleaning the rifle would be within an inch of where it was today....and then after taking his money i'd grab a couple buddies and we'd have a real serious BBQ in my backyard at his expense :)

there are seasoned barrels.....and then there are dirty barrels. talk to any good benchrest shooter and he'll tell you the difference between a seasoned barrel and a dirt barrel is most of the time....only a few shots. and keep in mind...we're talking about benchrest shooters....because to them 1/8" can win or lose a shoot.

I see two things going on here. First with the rifle, it's true. Most rifles will change the point of impact when shooting from a clean barrel. Shoot the rifle to site it in. Take it home and clean it, then go back to the range and fire two or three shots. They are called "fouling shots". After the fouling shots, put the rifle away until the hunt. I don't think it should be called "unethical". It's just something you learn over time. He may have had the right idea, but a piss poor way of explaining it.

As for the brother in law, I agree with an earlier comment, he is a piece of work. I feel sorry for your buddie's sister.

I'd be willing to bet your buddies bil also voted for Obama, and believes in the hope and change S%^&!!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back