Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ukraine / Russia

We ( Canada ) have sent nearly one trillion dollars to Ukraine since 2014

There's no way that's true. Ukraine's GDP is only $150 billion. Hell, Canada's GDP is only $1.5 trillion. A quick google search shows the entire expenditures of the Canada government was around $280 billion in 2014. Even if half of the budget of the Canadian government went to Ukraine over the last 6 years, they still would have hardly reached the number you claim.

There's no way that's true. Ukraine's GDP is only $150 billion. Hell, Canada's GDP is only $1.5 trillion. A quick google search shows the entire expenditures of the Canada government was around $280 billion in 2014. Even if half of the budget of the Canadian government went to Ukraine over the last 6 years, they still would have hardly reached the number you claim.
The clerical error was already noted. No harm no foul.

The clerical error was already noted. No harm no foul.
Thank you, both for your original correction and this one. I went back just now and edited my original post--probably should just delete it, but I was hoping someone would see it and give me their thoughts about Finland and whether anyone thinks they will join Nato. I am reluctant to make any statements after screwing up my first one so bad, but ---IMHO Russia did not expect it to be this hard to take Ukraine and therefore might be reluctant to invade any other country.

Thank you, both for your original correction and this one. I went back just now and edited my original post--probably should just delete it, but I was hoping someone would see it and give me their thoughts about Finland and whether anyone thinks they will join Nato. I am reluctant to make any statements after screwing up my first one so bad, but ---IMHO Russia did not expect it to be this hard to take Ukraine and therefore might be reluctant to invade any other country.
Do not worry about typos. I am really bad at typing on an iPhone with my thumbs and have far more errors than you.

As for Finland going to NATO. I think NATO would have long ago welcomed Finland and Sweden (both advanced western democracies), but Sweden has historically liked the role as neutral and Finland was somewhat wary of provoking Russia as well as liking Sweden's approach. I think the dust will have to settle a bit to really know if Finland will go through all the commitments necessary to join NATO, but if you asked me 2 yrs ago I would have said 2% chance, now I would say 50-50. (well played Putin)

As for Russia learning a lesson in the Ukraine - I don't think a tyrant with a stated goal of geographic dominating learns lessons - they either survive and stay the course, or they are removed (one way or the other). But I am hopeful China may be learning a bit.

Thank you. Appreciated.

Remember I am still working toward going on a Capercaillie hunt and although I am sure the hunt will happen in Sweden, we did investigate hunts in Finland. A little off topic but after inquiring about the hunt in Finland we got an unsolicited response from a Russian company inviting us to hunt them in Russia,, which we will not do, but thought it was interesting.

Do not worry about typos. I am really bad at typing on an iPhone with my thumbs and have far more errors than you.

As for Finland going to NATO. I think NATO would have long ago welcomed Finland and Sweden (both advanced western democracies), but Sweden has historically liked the role as neutral and Finland was somewhat wary of provoking Russia as well as liking Sweden's approach. I think the dust will have to settle a bit to really know if Finland will go through all the commitments necessary to join NATO, but if you asked me 2 yrs ago I would have said 2% chance, now I would say 50-50. (well played Putin)

Thank you
As for Russia learning a lesson in the Ukraine - I don't think a tyrant with a stated goal of geographic dominating learns lessons - they either survive and stay the course, or they are removed (one way or the other). But I am hopeful China may be learning a bit.
Thank you

Still listening; maybe sum it up later. And, if you don't have 3 hours to spare, you must type really fast to get in your 1000 posts a day. 🤣

One fun fact, he offered to train Elon Musk and thinks he would kick Putin's ass; younger, bigger, obv smarter.
Let me rephrase, I choose not to spend 2h49m with Mr. Rogan ;)

But let's be fair, I am not in the top 10-15 in posting volume. We're looking at you @wllm1313 and @noharleyyet ;)

Leggett asked the hard questions in his portion of that post. Not sure how EU gets free of Russian O&G in the next 5 years. But there are others on this forum who know a lot more about O&G than me who maybe say it is doable.

Any tlDR summary for folks who don't have 2h49m to listen?

I listened to it and thought it was great and interesting. Guy just got back from Ukraine, and was a tech entrepeneur in a different life, now converting to Judaism.

tl:dr

The Ukrainians are suffering immensely. All the refugees are essentially women and children and it is heartbreaking. The talk of labs, migs, and a number of other topics the media constantly harps on is not the important issue, the suffering is. Ukrainians are inspiring, and will not be conquered even if it means insurgency. Apple is only a little better than android. In its early years, working at facebook was much like being in a cult. The network effect is maybe insurmountable for certain technologies.

Prolly more, but that is what stands out in the top of my head.

I listened to it and thought it was great and interesting. Guy just got back from Ukraine, and was a tech entrepeneur in a different life, now converting to Judaism.

tl:dr

The Ukrainians are suffering immensely. All the refugees are essentially women and children and it is heartbreaking. The talk of labs, migs, and a number of other topics the media constantly harps on is not the important issue, the suffering is. Ukrainians are inspiring, and will not be conquered even if it means insurgency. Apple is only a little better than android. In its early years, working at facebook was much like being in a cult. The network effect is maybe insurmountable for certain technologies.

Prolly more, but that is what stands out in the top of my head.
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back