Ukraine / Russia

So we are a few more days into Putin’s invasion of a sovereign country. It appears that the Biden Administration is still buying Russian oil, therefore funding Putin’s invasion. STOP IT !! Allow oil companies to get back to work here at home. Lift the restrictions this Administration put on them and the pipelines. I even heard Canada has a bit of oil they would like to sell us.
Looks like they heard you.

I’ve been finding discussions of Nord Stream 2 interesting… “it’s built the US can’t do anything” … I mean it’s a 1200km pipeline we could blow it up pretty easily.

I think you nailed it and Germanys energy policies are the real problem.

My 2 cents, the likely best course of action is destabilizing Putins inner circle and causing a power struggle.

I wonder how much Ukrainians value their independence, will there be a protracted resistance or will the Ukraine fold back into the ‘Russian Federation’.
sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't, just me but Putin could be worse than he is.

It's not which "freedom fighter" is good and which one is bad, but do we want social media companies picking and choosing who is a terrorist and who is a freedom fighter? I think that is a poor idea. They should just stay out of it altogether. These are decisions for governments not for a bunch of 19-year-old coders with a startup in silicon valley.
I agree however, that's what Democrats and Republicans do in the U.S. in cooperation with their news and internet outlets...

seeing word of a large contingent of Russian forces moving on Kiev
Some sources say big % of forces are supply/fuel based
Some sources saying looks like prep for a siege style attack
I think Western media is being a bit too rosy with the Russia stumbles narrative and we might see things take an uglier turn over the next day or two

Our Country running microchip, battery business, etc to compensate for loss elsewhere would be the same as one political party, declaring the other party is at war for oil (great for their minions to pom pom cheer) while driving their fuel driven cars and castrating America's productions outside our reserves.
Then... we enter electrical cars... yep. Lithium mines, etc... but hey, politics.

China assumes Taiwan, sea of Japan, etc. Next axis vs allies war on the horizon.

So we are a few more days into Putin’s invasion of a sovereign country. It appears that the Biden Administration is still buying Russian oil, therefore funding Putin’s invasion. STOP IT !! Allow oil companies to get back to work here at home. Lift the restrictions this Administration put on them and the pipelines. I even heard Canada has a bit of oil they would like to sell us.

I think Western media is being a bit too rosy with the Russia stumbles narrative and we might see things take an uglier turn over the next day or two
Unfortunately I believe there's much truth to this.

Just my opinion, but: The hand wringing in some political and media circles over lack of sanctions on Russian oil/gas is just an effort to make American people soften to the idea of more drilling on federal lands. Acting like the sanctions in place now are toothless without oil sanctions ignores the reality of what's already happening to Russia's economy with just the existing sanctions. Also ignores the fact that America and Allies want to make Putin stop what he's doing, not engage in an open-ended assault on the entire Russian nation and devastate the lives of their citizenry. That's all just like, my opinion man, but it seems fishy to me how desperate some seem to act on oil and gas sanctions so soon.

Just my opinion, but: The hand wringing in some political and media circles over lack of sanctions on Russian oil/gas is just an effort to make American people soften to the idea of more drilling on federal lands. Acting like the sanctions in place now are toothless without oil sanctions ignores the reality of what's already happening to Russia's economy with just the existing sanctions. Also ignores the fact that America and Allies want to make Putin stop what he's doing, not engage in an open-ended assault on the entire Russian nation and devastate the lives of their citizenry. That's all just like, my opinion man, but it seems fishy to me how desperate some seem to act on oil and gas sanctions so soon.
The historical track record for sanctions is really weak, especially against oligarchs, especially with time to prepare and especially when a major economy - France, Russia, China - is wiling to ignore. The sanctions are mostly theater. To the extent they work - they work to harm the average citizen, not the entrenched officials.

The historical track record for sanctions is really weak, especially against oligarchs, especially with time to prepare and especially when a major economy - France, Russia, China - is wiling to ignore. The sanctions are mostly theater. To the extent they work - they work to harm the average citizen, not the entrenched officials.
Sorry, I understand the content of what you're saying but don't quite understand it as a direct response to my post. Are you saying that as an argument for more sanctions, or as an observation of their general weakness as a tactic, or something I'm missing entirely?

Pres. Biden is in a pickle...he can't win. Greens on one side, consumers, energy producers, and political adversaries on the other.
Yes, and after much administration ado about sanctions, Biden candidly, I'm assuming as written by his handlers, said as much.

Last edited:
Our Country running microchip, battery business, etc to compensate for loss elsewhere would be the same as one political party, declaring the other party is at war for oil (great for their minions to pom pom cheer) while driving their fuel driven cars and castrating America's productions outside our reserves.
Then... we enter electrical cars... yep. Lithium mines, etc... but hey, politics.

China assumes Taiwan, sea of Japan, etc. Next axis vs allies war on the horizon.
Methinks you post just so you can say "pom pom". :D

Change in Russia strategy is coming. The quick-strike didn't work.
The hand wringing in some political and media circles over lack of sanctions on Russian oil/gas is just an effort to make American people soften to the idea of more drilling on federal lands. Acting like the sanctions in place now are toothless without oil sanctions ignores the reality of what's already happening to Russia's economy with just the existing sanctions.
yep. Oil settles in US Dollars through banks. Stop bank transactions and you stop the oil. I guess someone could pay in fistfuls of cash but that only can happen for so long. Russia could sell to China and settle in renminbi, which would be the most obvious action. I think the oil finds a home eventually, but the market price is saying it will have a higher cost.

We are in a politically-driven world. I don't hear anyone say maybe Americans should carpool, or reconsider taking a flight, or turn the thermostat down a couple of degrees. Never. It's always the supply side that needs fixing and it is being hampered lack of government support- which is a code word for $$$/tax breaks.

Sorry, I understand the content of what you're saying but don't quite understand it as a direct response to my post. Are you saying that as an argument for more sanctions, or as an observation of their general weakness as a tactic, or something I'm missing entirely?
You were commenting on sanctions and I was saying they are largely pointless in controlling the leadership and at most hurt the normal folks. Whether oil or not, sanctions are theater that will not make Putin leave Ukraine one minute before he wants to.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back